SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Need help with my poor Emily Carr

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

I'm new at this rose stuff and I'm at a loss. I'm hoping someone here can help my Emily Carr.

My rose bushes are still in the pots from the garden centre, waiting for a permanent home.

A few weeks ago a few of the leaves on my Emily Carr started to turn yellow, and there were also a few holes chewed in them. I couldn't see any bugs or fungus, but sprayed with Ecosense insecticide just in case. Now half the plant has yellowing leaves and more holes eaten in a few of them. I've inspected and can't find anything. I've given the plant coffee grounds a few times and used a bloom fertlizer once. Yesterday I dug up about an inch or so of the soil, added a chopped banana peel with a bit of coffee grounds and covered with soil. All I found was one worm,( under the soil) which didn't look like a nice worm, so I smushed it. I also found a nasty looking spider, but he was very interested in a bud, so I left it there, thinking it may be after something I can't see, and maybe a solution to the problem.

Am I missing something? What is a thrip, and what damage does it do? Are the leaves yellow because of the crappy weather? Is it trying to tell me to hurry up and plant it?

I hope someone can suggest what my problem may be before I end up just throwing Emily Carr away =:(

Comments (3)