SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chreston_allen

Stuck with a Home Lien

Chreston Allen
6 years ago

Hello,

I am a first time home buyer. I purchased my home in Fall 2016. A year later I was in for a rude awakening when I discovered a $2000 extra charge on my tax bill to cover an energy loan which was a lien on the home taken out in property taxes. It turned out there was an $8,000 lien on the property. I went through my contracts and after talking to my realtor, trying to get a hold of my bank loan officer, talking to the title company, and finally my escrow agent... I am still kind of stalled and need advice on what to do. At first I went with my realtor who directed me to someone who advised me to go after the title company.

Should I blame the title company and try to collect on title insurance? The preliminary statement from title had a number on it which was a reference to the lien. They didn't say outright there was a lien on the property but they identified the county number that I could pay $40 to get a report that said there was a lien. I am kind of leaning on the idea that my realtor, as kind as I am and as much as I cannot get myself to go after, kind of was at fault for not making it known to me that there was this huge lien he would have seen if he had taken time to look at the preliminary statement. My loan officer who doesn't respond to any inquiries doesn't help.

I just don't know what to do from here... is there a way to file a complaint to some governing agency? I don't even know how I would try to collect title insurance and I don't know who to complain to. I'm kind of just at the point of quitting but I feel like this shouldn't be a thing for a first time home buyer/active duty military person. I was hasty to get in the house during a PCS move and buying was new to me. Can I hold anyone accountable? And of course the sellers took liberties in the disclosures on the property I got stuck with a leaky home and a leaky garage, and more.

Comments (10)