SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Lien Against Home-Long Story

mustangs81
18 years ago

Eight years ago, we had a large pine tree limb hanging over our roof. We surmised that the tree had been hit by lightening and a rather large limb was hanging precariously over our house.

We hired a tree service to take the tree out. When we asked the tree person if we needed a permit, he said that it wasnÂt necessary because the tree was a slash pine and consequently was exempt from tree removal guidelines. Since we verified that he was licensed, we were comfortable with his guidance.

A neighbor reported the tree removal and subsequently the County sited us and the tree service for code violation. The tree service ignored all communications and refused to accept any responsibility so, as the homeowner, we were liable for 100% of the fines and tree restoration. Keep in mind that in Florida, our trees are better protected than our children.

We purchased and planted trees to the CountyÂs specifications to be in compliance with code enforcement. The County inspected the plantings and deemed them to be grade B. We purchased and planted more trees and again the County inspected the plantings and indicated that we had satisfied the terms of the violation.

Move to present date: My position was recently eliminated along with 2200 other jobs at my company. Consequently, we are in the process of refinancing our home in order to reduce our monthly bills.

We received notice June 30 that the closing will not take place as we have a $128,000 lien on our home. This lien was placed by the County; they contend that we didnÂt respond to the tree removal violation. We are devastated and desperately trying to prove that we satisfied the fine in order to resolve this issue.

The County attorney returned our call and recommended that we "PAY THE $128,000". Hey, why didn't I think of that!

Any experience with liens?

Comments (26)