SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathicool

fired a subcontractor, worried about him filing mechanic's lien

cathicool
15 years ago

long story short....

i am GC'ing my new home and hired a guy to do the final grade and excavate and backfill our semi-inground pool. when i met the contractor, my husband and i explained we needed the pool dug out 36", as we had a variance for the pool and can only have it OUT of the ground by 18" or less. the contractor wrote up a contract and stated the cost would be $2200 for the work. his estimate has him doing the grading and the pool in 3 stages as outlined by him (1, 2, 3).

he showed up the first (and only) day and excavated the pool and did the "final grade". he complained left and right about the pool excavation, citing that he has never had to dig out a semi-inground pool so deep and that he only intended to dig it out 9". then he said 18". he said i could grade up to the pools edge and the inspector wouldn't have a problem with it. i kindly reminded him that i had to get a variance for the pool and that it could not be more than 18" out of the ground- as we had discussed when he wrote up his proposal and estimate. he said he only intended to excavate 18" and that it would be "a few more dollars" to excavate it the full 36". i told him that if i had to pay more, then i would've hired another contractor to do the work. he didn't even have a level to see if the pool excavation is level! he stated he doesn't know how to use a laser level! he continued to finish out the day- (he worked about 6 hrs with another guy), at which point he presented me with a bill for $3200! i told him no way, he demanded i pay him and i gave him $900. i felt this was fair- it was more than 1/3 of the originall $2200. he complained and said he wanted another $1000. he said he'd be back in 2 days for the rest of the money. he showed up 3 days later and demanded i pay him $1200. i told him he was not going to finish the job- as it was awful. he threatened me by saying he would assess me 15% everyday i did not pay the bill. 2 days after that, i got a bill/letter in the mail from him demanding $1200 and that i would be responsible for his attorney fees and "not to call him to complete the job".

by the way, he did the "final grade"- a horrific job which has led to my basement being flooded due to his incompetent grading and backpitching the grade toward the house. the grade on my property is also a foot higher than my neighbor's- another huge problem. tge pool is not level and i had to have a window well built around a window to divert the constant flow of water into the basement. i have had to hire another contractor to do the final grade and to level the pool excavation.

i think the $900 should be payment in full. i should go after him for the extra money i have had to layout hiring another grader, putting a window well in and flooding my basement.

i'm just afraid he may put a mechanic's lien on the house.

any thoughts?????

thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz