SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_perriello30

Contractor threatening Mechanics Lien... asap!

So I had an electrician do some work for me and we had agreed upon a rate of $65 dollars and hour, No contracts were signed, Nothing in writing. I only have text messages to prove that.

He no showed me multiple times, then when he finally showed up the job took longer than quoted, accidentally put a hole in my wall, did zero cleanup, and didnt finish the job in 6 hours when i was quoted "4 or 5 max, but closer to 4"

Then when it came time to pay he requested his $65 an hour and $45 an hour for his helper... this was never agreed upon. He also provides zero detail on cost of supplies. He wants $845 for a job i anticipated would cost about $475... again no bill was provided. now he says he will file a lien if i dont send a check by end of day for the rest of the amount.

I know its a small amount but any advice would help... My question is, if he files the lien, is it going to cost me more in fees to get it removed that it would just to pay him? he has no proof that we agreed upon any numbers, like i said only text messages.

Lesson learned, but any help would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022