SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joelovesjennie

Contractor is threatening a mechanics lien-- should I be scared?

joelovesjennie
9 years ago

I've posted a couple of times regarding the issues I am having with remodeling our first home. To give a little background, We live in California and this is the first time using a general contractor. So far the contractor has only finished about 70 to 80% of the work. We paid up front 2400 on the first day which is more than half of the total. We have the balance of about 1700 to give him. We were more than glad to give him the money if only he would finish and wrap up the project. However, complaining about the vanity not arriving in a timely manner he took another job and said he would come back to finish up. Well we contacted him the day the vanity came and no response from him. My husband is being very patient with him and said let's wait since he must be busy with another project and he must be strapped for cash. During this time, our family has to deal with a tiny guest bathroom ( tiny shower stall) with our 17 month old son.

On another note, an electrician came by and said the ceiling fans were installed illegally and were not up to code. We decided to send a letter to mutually terminate the contract and told them not to come back. The contractor who was MIA for 2 weeks finally responded and threatened he would put a mechanic's on us because there was money he needed to be compensated. We want to contact the licensing board before his license potentially expires ( end of this month ( April)). My husband got advice to try to work with him so we don't get a lien. What shall we do?

Comments (15)