SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmphoto_gw

Building nighmare, need advice asap

JMphoto
12 years ago

We are, or thought we were only a week away from CO on our new build. Some of you regulars may already know, based on my previous post that we are having a tough time with subs and this whole build process. We still need the septic system to get inspected, the HVAC unit installed and finished, so plumbing and the driveway paved. So a few things for CO. I have been fighting with the builder as to where these people were and why they were not coming back and I kept getting various answers. Well last night I realized why subs are not coming back, They are not getting PAID! I contacted the HVAC guy since I had his email because he was going to do some upgrade options for us. After a couple emails of "where are you and why are you not coming back" the beans were spilled and he has not been paid a single dime. The same story came out from the excavator, they were not paid a dime yet and are refusing to come back until they are paid. So I got on the phone with builder and came un-glued. He came out and told me his personal situation on how he was screwed on two previous commercial jobs for over $150K and he is having a hard time making payments to subs. He claims he will have everyone finished by next week.

So now that leaves me in a bind. Do I:

1) Be a good human being and trust him and feel sympathetic (which I do feel sympathetic for him) for his situation and trust he will complete the job as promised.

or

2) Consult legal advice as to what grounds I have if this is the case and subs don't return. Except now I have more money in the job because of legal fees.

Oh, did I mention the bank wants to fine me since the build is over the 6 month deadline on the construction loan. The builder said if that happened he would pay the fine, but now given his current state, I can't trust that he will ever pay me back for the fine.

I need advice before I go getting attorneys involved.

Please help with advice.

Thanks!

Comments (20)