SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_ahrens18

Do I try to minimize this plan?

ashley_ahrens18
5 years ago
We are looking to build with much apprehension due to current costs to build in our area. We are located in central Minnesota about 40 miles west of Minneapolis. We haven’t even started the estimates process, because we can’t quite decide if we want to be housebroke. Lol. This is the plan we have decided on with a few minor changes i.e. kitchen layout, unneeded master bath tub/master closet space, no need for a fireplace, etc. Aside from the small unneeded stuff, can this plan be easily “squished” in a sense or simplified so we would be looking at 2,500 sq ft or less instead of 2,900?

We are tossing around getting rid of the bonus room, but we could always keep that unfinished until later. With two children (14 & 3) and one more future child we would like a secondary family room.

We are currently living on the land we would build on. That’s not an exception. It’s 7th generation land. We are here for life until our children decide to take it over. Our septic and well need to be updated if not completely redone, and we are currently hooked up to natural gas which we plan to continue. We plan to do a slab foundation (I have lived in houses with basements my entire life and can not stomach another one). I’ve heard reports of cost to be $180/sq ft or more in our area. Anyone else have experience in this area with a similar build?

Very very very early stages of deciding on this routeAny suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!!

Comments (44)