SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jencaljil

My Girl's Rooms are a Disaster!

B Carey
5 years ago

Ok, maybe there bathroom is a Disaster and their rooms just aren't quite there!

Kids rooms will be in the basement, which means I can make them larger. My oldest is ADHD and very crafty. Her old basement room was 13*16 where she had a space for a desk (not enough desk space though!), a loveseat/tv armoire, etc. Life was so much quieter with her having the space she needed. I decided to put kids in the walkout basement so they could have more room space. I wanted to do a built in desk space and the girl's love the idea of a built in bed. Sort of like these:

I wanted a jack and jill type bathroom for the girls. While I only wanted one sink, I wanted them both to have a separate makeup/hair space. I like the idea of the tub/toilet area separated by a door as the oldest thinks a bath is a nice hangout for hours.

I wanted to keep their beds out of their main bedroom space to allow a nice hangout area. I know this is unconventional, but would minimize stress in my house. I also wanted large 5*8 closets. Bedroom 4's closet can go deeper into bedroom 5, as there won't be a window there (barely used guest room).

Their bedrooms can be changed any way. The desk wall is the walkout wall, and could have a great window, although the desk does not need a window. I am a little leary of having a window at the bed like some photos show due to tornadoes, rocks, etc.

The bathroom entrance is just a hot mess. This is the first draft, so I'm sure it will improve with time. But you guys are so creative. I also don't need the hallway closet between their two rooms, although I would use it!

Comments (56)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Sorry to say...but the bedrooms and the shared bath are just disaster. Is it too late to start with a fresh and clean slate, and all new concepts...?

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Virgil-That would be nice. I can’t imagine there isn’t enough space to execute this concept fantastically.

• Related Discussions

Turning my daughter's nursery into her 'big girl' room

Q

Comments (16)
    I have 3 kids - my 2 girls are ages 4 and 6, so we have washed lots of bedding in the last few years! I would suggest a quilt or coverlet instead of a comforter. The Company Store, JC Penney or Target quilts have all held up as well as I have needed them to. Keep in mind when your daughter is elementary age, she may wish to make some changes in her room, and the bedding is often the easiest to change, so whatever you pick does not have to last forever. Avoid white or light colors for staining reasons and if you can find a subtle pattern, it may camouflage even further. Your MIL can certainly make some accent pillows to go on the bed - my kids love their bolster style pillows. On other thing that you may consider is adding a row of heavy-duty hooks somewhere that your daughter can reach (or can reach in a couple of years). This would be handy for hanging the PJ's that she takes off in the am and puts back on in the pm or bags with her "activity" stuff like dance shoes and leotards, karate uniform, soccer shoes, etc. Depending on your closet and/or mudroom set up this may not need to be in her room, but regardless, little girls collect lots of bags and love a place to put them. Your room is adorable now. You made great choices with paint and fabric already! Have fun with the little one. Here some unsolicited advice - take it or leave it: Also, don't fret over her moving to a big girl bed - lots of fun things are to come. It is much easier to potty train, get rid of pacis, etc, when they are in "big" beds. One other suggestion to lessen the trauma for her moving to a different bed is to set her bed up in her room and leave the crib in there. Talk up the big girl bed but keep putting her in the crib until she asks to sleep or nap in the big bed. After a few successful naps/nights, then move the crib out. With a new baby on the way, she needs to have some "Choices" and this will increase the likelihood of success. Best wishes!
    ...See More

Help choosing a color for my girls' room

Q

Comments (22)
    Ok second question: trim for doors & two windows...paint or stain to match door? There is no baseboards yet but I plan to paint them as well as the small trim at top. Still undecided if I'm painting or staining the ceiling. I'm adding photos below of different looks. (Btw the paint is the first coat of BM Linen White & even though it may look like it the trim is currently not stained at all. The door is stained Minwax Provincial). And while we're at it go ahead and give me your opinions on staining vs. painting the ceiling. For what its worth this bedroom and the mirror image of it on the other side of the wall are additions to our mobile home. So these two rooms are the only ones w/ beadboard ceilings. And yes I know it's "just a mh" but it's where we'll most likely spend the rest of our lives. We tend to have a rustic vibe and there is a lot of wood throughout the main portion.
    ...See More

macadamia paint in little girl’s room?

Q

Comments (4)
    I had Macadamia in my great room and hallways in a previous home. I think it's a terrific color but would never put it in a little girl's room. Not at all a color that would go with pink or purple. What about a pale green?
    ...See More

Awkward furniture placement in little girl’s room

Q

Comments (16)
    Depending upon her age, you could ask your daughter and follow her preference for her room. If the issue for you is the visual of it rather than spacing: With curtains on the window that hide the side window frames, you couldn't tell that wall behind the headboard is not as wide as the headboard. That might help the visual vibe. If you like the no curtain open window look, you could use both sheers and a pair of drape panels for each window and only cover the side window frames, leaving the shears in the middle to "cover" the window itself. Alternately, you could use a double rod and have the sheers on the inner rod and have the option to leave the curtains or drapes open or closed. You might also consider a different option: Change the bed to a metal frame (with wheels) -- without any headboard or foot board -- and use the window to the right of the chest of drawers as a headboard -- leaving the other windows unadorned, use curtains to create a theme at the head of the bed that represents your daughter's current interest.
    ...See More
  • ILoveRed
    5 years ago

Those beds remind me of the bunk beds in our motor home that our twin boys have long outgrown. Long gangly boys that won’t fit now. As cute as they are the girls will outgrow them quickly. No air circulation around the alcoves (think hot) either and the beds are impossible to make. When they are in high school they will be begging for big beds...especially since the older they get the more activities they do on their beds including studying.

i love the built in desks with shelves and storage shelves.

I like the bathroom but why not just put a sink in for both of them. The cost is minimal at this point.

Nice bedrooms for two kids in a walkout basement. My last house had awesome basement bedrooms for my boys and they loved them. So did we.

We put in the Kohler Bellwether cast iron tub in our guest room. Alcove tub 66” long. Great tub for your girls and not too tall.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

I love the window seat bed look as well, but I would put it in the lounge area with the idea that it’s usually seating (I love a cozy window seat) and can be turned into a bed for sleepovers and such. The window behind the bed is also less of a concern for occasional use. Then the daily use bed can be a more traditional bed.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ilovered-Thanks. I’m pretty sure my girls will stick with full sized beds. My girls are both the snuggle in type, so i do see them living the cocoon feel of these. Currently, the beds are placed where there would be a tiny sectional or loveseat in front with a TV/armoire. So the bed could be extra seating for sleepovers. The girls both really want this and I think they would love it. However, If they decide in a few years that they want to go back to a traditional bed, I have no problem with ripping everything out, bringing my drywaller in, repainting, reflooring, etc. (of course, that would be their birthday present!). The main bedroom space still has room for a bed, so one could be put in without all the additional tear out.

The bathroom could be made much better. I don’t have a problem with 2 sinks for the girls. But I really want them each having their own makeup/hair vanity space. I would love for their bathroom to be the ultimate princess glam room. I think your tub recommendation is for the girls room (rather than the guest bathroom?). I think I will have to splurge a bit for a jacuzzi style tub for the girls room. Otherwise, they will likely always “sneak” up to my tub!

I hear you on your boys basement rooms. Her previous room was set up so awesome. I didn’t like how her bed took up so much of the space. She also had a nice desk, but not the space she needed for all of the activities she wanted to do at her desk. Since I have somewhat of a blank space, trying to take what we loved about her room, and make it better!

Kristin-Thanks. Yes, I love the look. But I also really love how not having a bed take up most of the floor space, that my girls can also have a nice lounge space.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It sounds like there is enough unique needs here that you need to go back to the drawing board with a local architect, and not the person that got you where you are. One that can sit down face to face with you to discuss all the factors that need to be considered into the design. The current layout is not good in many ways.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

The length issue for twins can be solved by using extra long twins. That's what most college dorms seem to have.

What about a hybrid that is sort of a trundle that pulls out for making and could be slid under a back cushion so it turned into a sort of sofa? The ends could still be enclosed like an alcove.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

What about a hybrid that is sort of a trundle that pulls out for making
    and could be slid under a back cushion so it turned into a sort of sofa?

Oooooooooh!!! Essentially a built-in daybed/window seat with a trundle bed.

I'm gonna hit up Pal for fun ideas, when I design my house!

• sabrinatx
    5 years ago

Most posters here don't like J&J baths. I on the other hand like them. This is going to be my kids J&J. Maybe a bathroom like this would work? Each child would have their own sink and toilet while sharing the shower. We went with this layout because we have a girl and a boy and it actually gives them more privacy.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I decided to put kids in the walkout basement so they could have more room space

You've considered that one day you may not know who's walking in /out of your basement once the girls are teens?

Her old basement room was 13*16 where she had a space for a desk (not enough desk space though!),

So you want her to have a large desk space where she can spread out her projects. I suspect she also needs space for craft storage (otherwise stuff'll collect on the desk), and I think that should be included in the plans -- a bookcase with bins, a small hobby closet?

Bedroom 4's closet can go deeper into bedroom 5, as there won't be a window there (barely used guest room).

I don't think you can (legally) have a bedroom without a window /means of egress in case of fire. If this room will be "barely used", I wouldn't build it. I'd give that space to the girls' rooms and the large bathroom you want them to have.

Here's what I think I'd do:

With larger windows, the girls' rooms will be much nicer (especially the one on the left, which was going to be quite dark) ... their closets are larger, and they provide a sound barrier between the two rooms.

I'm assuming you have a basement common room to the left that isn't showing (I think that because the stairs have to be that direction), and I figure you need a powder room open to this area ... and the girls can have a massive vanity with plenty of hair-make-up space for each. They could each have a seated area, and you could have a big linen closet in the bathroom.

The desk wall is the walkout wall, and could have a great window, although the desk does not need a window. I am a little leary of having a window at the bed like some photos show due to tornadoes, rocks, etc.

Placing the desk under the window makes sense, but I'd make the windows LARGER to admit more light into rooms that'll otherwise be rather dark ... can the bump-out be eliminated? It'd allow more windows /more light. I agree with you about not placing the girls' beds directly under windows ... but those pictures you shared would lose some of their charm if the windows were gone.

I'm not loving the whole bed-in-nook concept. Custom built beds will be extremely expensive, and I agree with the people who say they'll be nightmares to make up ... and, as a result, the kids are going to leave them unmade. Also, one day your girls will be adults and will come back home to visit ... with spouses. How will these beds translate into beds large enough for a couple?

The length issue for twins can be solved by using extra long twins. That's what most college dorms seem to have.

Are you a tall family? If so, extra-long twins might be a good idea.

Most posters here don't like J&J baths. I on the other hand like them. This is going to be my kids J&J. Maybe a bathroom like this would work? Each child would have their own sink and toilet while sharing the shower. We went with this layout because we have a girl and a boy and it actually gives them more
    privacy.

I like Jack-and-Jills, but I think they're rarely done well -- in this case, note that you have a world of walking space, yet the kids are getting very small vanities /will have no drawer space.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I would not want my children in the basement at any age, and definitely not when they are teens. An invitation to sneak out or others sneak in.

• B Carey
    5 years ago

Pal-I am planning Full beds (I can't find where I typed it, but may have mistyped twin). I think the girls will probably put pillows at the back of the bed to also use it as a sofa of sorts (like a daybed) when they have big hangouts.

Sabrina-Nice layout you have. I'm not too worried about the girls having their own toilets. Their space would need to be a lot larger than yours to also accommodate separate makeup vanities. My son gets his own bathroom...lol

Mrs.Pete-We are on 80 acres. We will have surveillance. I'm not worried about my kids escaping or intruders. The sides of the desk are for shelving for lots of craft storage. There should also be space in the closet and armoire for additional storage. You are right that bedroom 5 won't be a legal bedroom (needs addressed with draftsman). However, I do need a queen bed for my mother. She does not need a window. I do love the idea of having that additional space for my girl's rooms. But the tradeoff would be my girls giving their rooms up for 2-3 days every time my mom visits. Would be fine if she just used their rooms to sleep.... I get the desk/bed thing isn't for everyone. I also do not plan for the space to be used for a bed when kids come back with spouses. We don't plan on moving, but I will remodel the rooms for that stage of life....much cheaper than Realtor/closing costs on selling and buying! I'm not sure if I typed twin, but I am planning full mattresses for the girls, so length shouldn't be a problem.

Anglo-Yes, I know basement kids rooms are a garden web no-no. Again, we are on 80 acres plus will have surveillance. I am actually more comfortable with them in the basement than on a second floor with windows 3 stories high in the event of a fire.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

Mrs.Pete-We are on 80 acres. We will have surveillance. I'm not worried about my kids escaping or intruders.

I grew up on 45 acres; that's all I'm saying.

By surveillance, I assume you mean an alarm of some sort? Will the kids know how to use it? As teens, do you anticipate they'll be more or less skilled than you are with technology? Again, that's all I'm saying.

But the tradeoff would be my girls giving their rooms up for 2-3 days every time my mom visits.

You said the guest room'd be used very rarely. If I were a teen, I'd rather have a bigger room /give it up 2-3 days at a time a couple times per year ... rather than have a smaller room 365 days /year.

We don't plan on moving, but I will remodel the rooms for that stage of life....much cheaper than Realtor/closing costs on selling and buying!

You realize these beds will run a couple thousand dollars? I'd have a hard time tearing them out.

I'm not sure if I typed twin, but I am planning full mattresses for the girls, so length shouldn't be a problem.

Full beds in alcoves will be harder to make up than twins (or XL twins).

I am actually more comfortable with them in the basement than on a second floor with windows 3 stories high in the event of a fire.

I live in the land of no basements, but I can see this argument.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mrs.Pete-Thank you very much for all your comments!

I’m not disagreeing that the kids can’t escape. But kids can also escape from the second floor. They can also run away in broad daylight. I’m pretty tech savvy. By surveillance, I mean cameras on the property. We also have trail cameras for the wildlife, so the kids would eventually get caught. I am more of a free-range parent than a helicopter parent, so that probably plays into my decision. Also that the basement will have nice tall ceilings.

I could see how having the beds custom built would cost thousands. We will be doing the construction of the beds ourselves, so it will be a fraction. Honestly, even if they were $5,000 each, they would be torn out at a logical time. Still way less than closing costs. I would imagine in 20 years, I would get the urge to remodel my kitchen...and I see nothing wrong with that either. Which is funny, because I am a cheapskate. DH is the one who spends, I save. But I see people unable to change things like paint, and instead complain about the color. There is nothing logical behind this behavior. If you change something and improve your life, while meeting your financial goals, then why not? I am building what I want because I am utilizing the basement for half of my square footage. I am building a smaller footprint than I could do I am not limited to builder grade options. My husband will never move. Given that, going into the build saying that I can remodel the basement eases my stress. Other people just move when their space no longer works. There is a possibility that my kids all stay local and I only need a second bedroom for grandkids. If that happens, I can rip out the bedrooms and put in a bowling alley. But to not do something cool for the rooms my kids will actually be living in for 10+ years because I need the room to work for future uses in 15 years doesn’t seem logical to me either. While I don’t like throwing money away, I don’t see this much different than the likelihood that I will remodel a bathroom or kitchen in 15-20 years. I’m still further ahead financially than those who buy/sell every 5-7 years. Financially, I’m also a lot further ahead than my peers. They throw money away every 2 years buying brand new cars.

regarding my mother...that is a whole other story. I would be very happy building just a 4 bedroom house. We even have a cabin on our property that we did in part hoping it would serve as a guest space. In our current home, she stays in a girls’ room. It is not a good solution. FWIW-I do not have the same issues with other guests staying in my kids rooms. I also would need to have a regular bed in one of the girls rooms to have my mom stay there. Which means, I still don’t get to do what I want with their rooms. I’d rather set their room up with the vision and have it a little smaller, than have the rooms bigger but everything spaced out how it was in my daughters last room. I have considered doing a sectional that can pull out to a queen bed in one of the rooms to still accomplish what I want. The problem still becomes that the girl who gives up her room: Has to have their clothes ready for school ahead of time as their is someone sleeping in their room long after they leave for school, they wouldn't be able to use their room during the day either. I also do not want the girls bathroom accessible to my sons friends who are hanging out in the basement, so that throws a little kink in the layout.

• User
    5 years ago

Why people think they get to comment on your idea of kids in basement is mind boggling. I can see commenting on room size or layout or bathroom but you are the parent and get to dictate where you think is best for your kids to sleep. Do what you want. Sounds like your kids will have lovely rooms that are well thought out for them. Which, to me, is exactly what you want in a new build.

My daughter is getting a little storage closet for her stuffed animals. It is totally just for her and none of my other kids would want it but she will be thrilled with it.

My other craft loving, insanely messy, artist type daughter is getting a larger closet which will have tons of built in storage for all of her projects and chaos. Exactly what she needs.

Poor son needs nothing special in his room but will love the big flat backyard and soccer net protected by high fencing :)

In terms of your actual needs for the rooms, I can only share my thoughts and why, I would do less built in anything. We are purposefully not building in any window seats, desks, beds etc. Partly cost savings but mostly so the kids can grown and change in the space. They can rearrange furniture and put their own stamp on the space. If anything is fixed in the room it limits their chances to do this.

Oh and we have a two bedroom basement suite in our basement. One room won't have a window so is technically a den but it will fully be used as a bedroom.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

I there a bonus type room (or even office) somewhere? If so, could you design it to accommodate a murphy bed and be closed off if needed? If so, I'd think about that in place of Bedroom #5, both to give you the space back for your daily use, and also because I wouldn't want a guest room with no windows. It's just not very friendly-feeling for normal use, and it could literally be deadly in the fire - they require egress windows for a good reason.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Why people think they get to comment on your idea of kids in basement is mind boggling.

I actually hope that, one day, if/when I post my plans, that I will get tons of questions and comments... If only because it'll either help me change something that won't work/isn't quite right, *or* further support my (many and frequent) odd little quirks.

Others' criticisms are a way of knowing yourself better. That's how I take everything offered on this forum. :-)

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kristin-My mother specifically did not want a Murphy Bed. And there is not another room that this could work. She would not even be happy with a pull out bed like I mentioned. We have a Beautiful 200 square foot cabin that everyone loves using. She refuses to because the bathroom is an outhouse. Most of our guests are thrilled to get to use the cabin. I realize that a bedroom without a window is a true hazard in event of a fire. There are other options available to her other than room 5 that she will refuse to take.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Allison-Thanks. Yes, the built-ins may wear off. I actually asked the ADHD daughter if she would be interested in a shared craft space that would give her more total desk/storage. It was a dead NO. Yes, built ins will cost more than just a square room. In our case, we will be doing the whole built in, so it will just be some extra drywall. Kids are 12,11,8, so while they need a room to grow in, there likely won't be as many changes as if they were younger to start with. And if the oldest loves the desk and bed, and wants to change it all when she is 16, that is fine too. I know it is weird to say that as it doesn't make sense. BUT, by allowing myself that option, it also allows me to go with a crazy idea! If the 8 year old wants to get rid of the built in bed, we could put a reading chair there with a bookcase. I don't have any interest in building a boring room because something may not be practical down the road. I've spent my whole life being super practical....I want to enjoy my life now! I love the idea of your daughter's stuffed animal closet. :) I'm sure she can come up with a cool use for it if her love of stuffies wears off. My 8 year old REALLY wants a secret room off her room with a TV and all the works. I did have to tell her no on that one as it would be a fire hazard AND an escape danger during a fire.

• User
    5 years ago
    One Devoted Dame commenting on a floor plan is far from commenting on a parenting decision about where in the house a kid should sleep. Not the same at all.
  • User
    5 years ago
    B Carey it sounds like you have really thought this through. I’m sure your kids will love it all! Ours are 10,9,6 so not too far off of yours. If we had stayed in our old house we would have renovated the basement and put all kids down there and created an amazing kid recroom and playspace. It would have been amazing.
  • B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One Devoted Dame-Yes, there are pluses and minuses to both. Your comments have all come from a very helpful place I feel. I think what is hard sometimes on this forum is if you don't fall in the gardenweb cookie cutter house. I've been on this forum a long time. I know the gardenweb no-nos. The only logical reason to not put kid's rooms in the basement is they can leave in the middle of the night. Those same kids leaving in the middle of the night are the same ones left at home all summer days. I know I'm going against the grain with the kids' rooms. But I do love the comments that it might be a cool idea. I've been planning this house for a long time, so am likely not going to change my concept based on internet opinion or that it won't work in 10-20 years (for the reason's I already posted). But that is because I know this will be perfect for my kids.

BUT, given that I am trying to do something other than a 10*12 room, the design is not quite there. I handed my ideas over and they aren't simple. There is likely a way to execute it a lot better. I can't imagine it can't be done well in a 15*36 or so space!

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

One Devoted Dame commenting on a floor plan is far from commenting on a parenting decision about where in the house a kid should sleep. Not the same at all.

My point was that how someone lives is (or should be) directly linked to the plan. It's okay to comment on (or question) lifestyle/parenting/house *if for no other reason* that it provides the OP with internal clarity/certainty of what she wants or needs. She wouldn't necessarily have to counter every/all points, but the back-and-forth exchange can prove valuable.

Lots of folks probably wouldn't like my parenting style, or heck don't even like my posts, lol, and that's okay, because I know none of you here, and y'all don't know me.

It's just better/more charitable to try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt when they comment.

One Devoted Dame-Yes, there are pluses and minuses to both. Your comments have all come from a very helpful place I feel.

Awwwww, thanks. <3 I try. I also happen to have a personality that is more diplomatic in delivery than others, which at times, can work to my (or others') detriment. I value both approaches, the gentle one and the blunt one. Sometimes you just have to throw everything at someone and see what sticks!

I think what is hard sometimes on this forum is if you don't fall in the gardenweb cookie cutter house.

The intentions are always good, or at least, I like to think so. :-D And it *can* be hard for those of us who "feel" first and "think" later, but it's almost always better to get too much input than not enough. I am actually deathly afraid that I'll post my house one day, and there will be nothing but the sound of crickets in my thread, lol.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

commenting on a floor plan is far from commenting on a parenting decision about where in the house a kid should sleep. Not the same at all. I think some of this comes more from those in areas that don't have basements. Basements use to be caves. Now, they are fantastic spaces. My main floor will have mostly 9 foot ceilings. The basement will be 9.5-10.5. So even more awesome. Had I not previously had my most challenging kid in such an awesome basement room, I likely wouldn't be considering this. The reality is kids will escape or have visitors to their room no matter what floor they are on. At least I am more prepared for it..lol. I would guess the parents who raise kids on the main or 2nd floor would be surprised to know how often their kids really leave or have visitors. Thankfully, I am very confident in my parenting. That happens when you have your parenting questioned for many years only to find out that there are reasons your kid is different.

I would love to see how others would accomplish the built-in bed and desk space in over 500 square feet.

• User
    5 years ago
    Don’t worry ODD I’m sure it will get torn apart like the others....
  • One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Don’t worry ODD I’m sure it will get torn apart like the others....

And that will be perfectly fine with me, truly. I've been weird my whole life, so if I experience something that happens to "all the others" I'm cool with it. :-)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

As long as you don't have any clothes closets accessible directly from a bathroom you'll be fine.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mark-My girl's closets are not. Unfortunately, my son's closet is...and may stay that way. My and DH closets were, but are now accessible right from the vestibule to our bathroom.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

As long as you don't have any clothes closets accessible directly from a bathroom you'll be fine.

Uh, oh.....

I'm in trouble!

(Is it okay if the preferred adjacency plan is master bed --> master bath --> master closet/tornado room --> laundry? Or am I still committing a mortal design sin?)

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Miss B, would you mind turning on your Message button? Please? :-D Or using mine to message me, so that I can reply to you? Thanks. <3

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

ODD - You may not have a problem, but the potential will always be there.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

ODD - You may not have a problem, but the potential will always be there.

If it helps, I keep the light on in the closet 24/7. Literally. I have, shall we say, a bit of trauma from the first house I owned (involving scorpions), so I keep lights on in certain rooms all the time to discourage critters.

And I keep the closet door closed. The shower always runs with the exhaust fan going, and I plan on a tall ceiling (I'm in the South). I'm hoping all of those things combined will significantly reduce my risk of issues.

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

Allison said.....”commenting on a floor plan is far from commenting on a parenting decision about where in the house a kid should sleep”

i agree. I think folks often misunderstand basements in general.

my last house had two wonderful, spacious bedrooms in the basement with spacious closets and a large shared hall bath. My daughter slept there then later my twin boys. I just don’t think folks on here envision the kind of basement that we midwesterners put in. They are often light filled, luxurious, walk out spaces that most kids beg to have. They think we are sticking our kids in unsafe tombs that smell like mildew and where they are subject to all kinds of danger and temptation.

We are building a two story this time because our lot is small. My boys will be upstairs rather than in the basement. They were a lot safer from fire down there than they will be upstairs. Climbing down a throw out ladder vs walking out a ground level door. It’s a no-brainer.

sneaking out...if they want to get into trouble there are plenty of opportunities for that without having to sneak out.

• User
    5 years ago
    I love read exactly! Our basement is going to be amazing with tons of light and high ceilings and a beautiful walk out to the backyard. We live in Vancouver where basements are the norm and are often giant rec rooms of fun and a media room and super enjoyable spaces. Love it.
  • Love stone homes
    5 years ago

Hi all, I just have to comment on the issue of kids bedrooms and walk out basements. We had this set up, back alley included. We, parents were up 2 floors. Our now adult daughters laugh in recounting stories of them as teens, coming and going or friends over without mom and dad knowing anything. No harm done, very responsible kids etc. Would I do this today, who knows. Depends on the kids, I guess..They admitted they loved their basement sanctuaries!

• Suru
    5 years ago

Ditto about the basements. I've never had a basement before and thought ours in the new build would be dark, dreary, and full of cobwebs and creepy crawlies. It's the complete opposite. I have two big guest bedrooms with 4' x 5' windows that let in loads of light. Plus a small TV area and my art studio. I love it down there. It's just like having an upstairs, but . . . downstairs LOL.

In regards to teens sneaking in and out. If a kiddo wants to sneak out at night, IMO, he/she will find a way regardless of where their bedroom is. My oldest lived with us while going to college and he came and went all hours of the night and I never woke up, even though our bedroom shared a wall with the stairwell. One summer when I was a teen, I sneaked out practically every night with a sleeping sister next to me and no one ever knew. I don't think I would base the design of my house on keeping the teens from sneaking out at night. Either they will or they won't.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

In the Midwest, most builds have basements. Many don't finish their basements, because they can't afford to after building the first and/or second floor. When the basement does get finished, it is an awesome space! It creates a great hangout space that kids want to be in. Especially in so many new build where the ceiling heights are so much higher than many main floor or second floor bedrooms. From a fire perspective, the kids are way safer. From an escaping perspective....unless you are a helicopter parent, your kids are going to do what they want no matter what you do. If you don't want them roaming the town, don't ever let them sleep over at a friend's house. If you think you are keeping your kids home at night by putting them on the second floor, you are fooling yourself. My kids won't escape any more than yours!

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Given that I still want my kids' rooms in the basement, and would still prefer to have the girls rooms both have the built in bed and built in desk....

I'm wondering if a better plan would be created by moving the guest bedroom to the blue location. (Or I can make the blue location the exercise room and move the guest room to the exercise room. I wonder if this would better satisfy my concept. You can see the thicker basement foundation wall on the right side, although the ground falls back very quickly, so a window wouldn't be that out of the question. Not as nice of a view, but maybe okay for a larger room. I like the idea of a jack and jill bathroom for the girls (still having their own nice vanity spaces), but they could have their own bathrooms also.

How would you accomplish the 2 girl's suites in this space?

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

Could you share the whole basement floor plan? It would be helpful to see what else is there...

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

I agree Miss with Kristin. :-) The whole space would be helpful to see, as well as a simplified bullet list of requirements for the space.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

I think it is your decision to do a basement plan. And it seems like if you have an alarm system, that will be helpful.

But when I was 7 and 8, the kids lived in the basement of a split level. My little brother and I would sneak out the windows in the dead of night, even in the snowy cold winter, and ride our bikes a couple miles on the roads to the 7-11 to buy candy. We are so lucky we were never hit.

Once, we left a window open and my two year old brother went out the window. He was found on the HIGHWAY on his scooter by a police officer. We were all shocked to see the police car pull into the driveway and my little brother pop out of the drivers seat with his Superman cape on.

Unfortunately, a transient found my open window when I was visiting my grandparents out of state. We think he was sleeping in my bed. My brother kept telling my mother there was someone in the house with a gun. She didnt believe him until she went down to my room to clean it a couple days later.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

OhmydearLord, Rocky!!!!

:-O

So glad the baby was okay. <3

• B Carey
    5 years ago

Here is the basement. There will still be some changes, as this is just the first draft. You can see where I want a bar space (with access to cold storage under front porch) and an adjacent booth.

After thinking more about my son's room, I realized that the desk space and bathroom space could easily swap spaces, which would give the closet a much better entrance!

The table area is for an air hockey table. You can see how the exercise room could easily become a guest room.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

"You can see how the exercise room could easily become a guest room."

Only for guests you didn't want to have spend the night in the first place.

• chicagoans
    5 years ago

B Carey, I think built in beds are very cute and I can see the allure, but the functionality would keep me from building them. (That, and my family is too tall to enjoy foot boards much less alcoves.) What would you think about canopy beds with drapes? They could be closed to make wonderful little escapes or opened to be more airy (and when making the beds.) You could swap out the canopy drapes when their tastes change, and have storage or trundles under the beds. I think you could get really creative and still have some flexibility down the road.

They could be canopy bed frames or one of those hanging hoops.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

[...] or one of those hanging hoops.

I'm doing this for my daughter!

$4 24" quilt/embroidery hoop from Hobby Lobby (reg. $7, used their 40% off coupon)

$18 bolt (40 yards) of shimmer tulle (using the rest of the tulle for window and closet drapes)

Some S-hooks and chain

1 yard each of polar fleece, in shades of pink and green, to create a downward-facing flower to hide the chain and hoop structure

I still like the little alcove beds, but I would totally *add* drapery to create a nook behind a curtain thing, lol.

• B Carey
    5 years ago

Chicagoans-Yes, the idea definitely wouldn't work for most families. Honestly, the thing I disliked the most about the 13*16 room my daughter previously had was how much the bed took up of my daughter's living space.

ODD-Yes, I have considered doing curtains. There are several photos that show it done that way. I think it will depend on how busy the room looks once it is decorated.

• weedyacres
    5 years ago

Did anyone read between the lines on this one:

My mother specifically did not want a Murphy Bed. And there is
    not another room that this could work. She would not even be happy with
    a pull out bed like I mentioned. We have a Beautiful 200 square foot
    cabin that everyone loves using. She refuses to because the bathroom is
    an outhouse. Most of our guests are thrilled to get to use the cabin.
    I realize that a bedroom without a window is a true hazard in event of a
    fire.
    There are other options available to her other than room 5 that
    she will refuse to take.

They know very well the hazards inherent in mom's guest room.... Are they deliberate? Hmmm...... ;-)

• Oaktown
    5 years ago

Your kids are lucky to have parents who give so much thought to this.

Have you considered "regular" rooms with the beds pushed in the corners? Seems to me that would allow more flexibility with design and future space use. Or, maybe design "modular" alcoves that partition regular space. For example you could have along one wall a ~3.5'x8' bed alcove (XL twin mattress) and 3.5'x6' desk alcove. Removing those would impact only the short partition walls rather than the rest of the space. Or if you took out the bed platform you could put the head end of a queen bed into the alcove, with freestanding or built-in nightstands on either side.

How about a door that would allow the girls to close off their "wing" when their brother's friends are visiting? Would that alleviate the need for a jack-and-jill bath? Of course you could still have one but it would be one fewer constraint on your design.

Good luck! Hope you are having fun.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

weedyacres-not quite. Be glad that your family members don't make your design choices harder. Seriously, I would have mom use a girl's room if my mom didn't go to bed at 8ish and sleep in until 10...and hide out reading the bible for at least an hour a day.

Oaktown-I did consider some of these ideas. I also would consider not doing a jack and jill bath, although would prefer to fit it in. The door is a good idea!