SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwennifer

Before we paint exterior - what else can I fix?

Gwen
5 years ago

Finally get to paint exterior. Want to make some changes first if I reasonably can. Here's my home from Google Maps:

I KNOW, remove the faux shutters.

Budget is maybe $2-3k. I know everything can be fixed for a price, but since I don't have much to spend, I'd like advice on where to best invest. We are quite handy and can do a lot ourselves if it's DIY'able.

1. A big pet peeve is the way the faux shingles over the second story porch just end, with no transition board. Can someone tell me if this is labor intensive or an easy fix? Who do I call for this type of work - a general handyman?

2. Hate the faux stone. It's pinkish and purplish and I hate that the bulk of it was placed on the front porch behind the railing, where it's not seen from street anyway. Also hate how it ends right under the window and hate how they put a dinky amount on the garage and didn't wrap it around the sides (framed in with trim). If we pulled the stone off, can HardiePlank be patched in there, or do we have to pull all the HardiePlank off this section also and start over from bottom up?

3. Not a huge fan of the columns. Would it better if they didn't have lapped siding and were just smooth? Or is good that they match the siding on the house? Should they be all one color?

A lot of questions, but truly appreciate all the wisdom on here. It's a cookie-cutter home, plenty others like it in my neighborhood, but mine has the worst colors and faux stones of them all. Grateful for the opportunity to fix it up a bit if I can. Any advice appreciated. THX!

Comments (4)