SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladypat1

Everybody gets something. What's yours?

6 years ago

Tornado season is upon us in Kansas, and it always gets me wondering ....would you trade? I don't know what I would trade for, tornado season isn't too bad here because Kansans mostly have basements.

What's your unfortunate occurrence due to Mother nature? Floods, mud slides, wildfires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes? Would you trade for something else?

Comments (51)

• 6 years ago

I live in NW Pennsylvania. We just really get a lot of snow and cold temps in the winter. There isn't anything I would trade it for. We are used to it and can deal with it

ladypat1 thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Southern California. We of course get earthquakes, but wildfires are the bigger threat by far. At least so far. There's always the big earthquake coming that I've been hearing about since I was born. Luckily mother nature's time scale is different than humans!

I used to live in Florida and survived many hurricanes. I don't mind those too much as you get plenty of warning and flooding wasn't a big risk in my area like it was during the gulf hurricanes the last few years. I don't think I could live in a tornado area.

Will never do snow again. I could deal with snow if I could work remotely or if I were retired and didn't have to go anywhere. Driving in the snow is what I hate.

ladypat1 thanked Chi
  • Related Discussions

How much did your cannas multiply since last Fall? (Everybody)

Q

Comments (10)
    I planted 4 last year. In the fall when I dug mine up I had a wheel barrow full of roots. I've gave away 15 or so and still have several to do something with. I planted 6 this year being more careful where I plant them. I never expected to have to dig them up with a large pick.
    ...See More

What's everybody planning for 07 veg gardens?

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm trying very hard to control myself with the seed catalogs but failing miserably (as I do every year). To make it even worse, I just learned that the oldest seed company in the US (D. Landreth) has relocated to my town -- New Freedom, PA. Since I'm originally from Baltimore, I'm going to try an heirloom tomato called "Greater Baltimore." I also want to try "Silvery Fir Tree" and "Brandywine" tomatoes. I'll also be growing "Mortgage Lifter" and "Yellow Pear" as I do every year. My dad loves "Early White Bush Scallop" (pattypan) squash so I'll have a hill or two of that and I'm also looking for pie melon seeds (see here). I had great success with shallots last year so I'll have them again. My heading cabbage didn't do well (bugs) and my Chinese cabbage bolted but I'll have bok choi again since it did very well. I want to try pole beans this year and would also like to have some peas. A couple of rows of beets and some swiss chard plus green peppers, jalapeno peppers and eggplants will round things out. Maybe okra? Carrots? Definitely kohlrabi. I've been laid up since late September with ankle surgery and am more anxious than usual to get out in the garden. Of course, the mild winter weather only lasted until I was finally released by the doctor for normal activity and now it's freezing and nasty. I'm going to have a lot of cleanup to do before I can plant anything this spring. Ah well, gardeners are nothing if not optimistic. Rich
    ...See More

Cast your vote: Do I refinish or get something new?

Q

Comments (3)
    You will be happy with the existing wood if you do a good job with the sanding preparation and you use a quality wood floor finishing system. My advice is to use a commercial two-part waterborne polyurethane, such as that made by BonaKemi, Basic Coatings, Vermeister and others. These are available at flooring materials dealers and distributors. They are not cheap, but definitely worth the price.
    ...See More

What's in everybody's Breck's boxes? (Also hi from a newbie)

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks very much folks! I know I'll be up against Japanese beetles and BS down here in New Orleans, but the 5-for-$30 sale is the perfect way to try a few at random and see if I can make it work. It's super late for bare roots here (already low-mid 80s) so I'm going to throw them in pots and keep them in the shade/otherwise babied until they get nice and settled - if I lose a couple I'm that much wiser and only out $6!
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

Windsor used to be the lightening capital of Canada but now a near by town of Harrow in the County has that designation. We get some bad summer storms, heavy rains which cause basement flooding. We also have had our share of small tornadoes. We also have high humidity in the summer with lots of mosquitoes. We are fairly lucky because I think the Detroit River tames some of the bad weather from crossing over. I will keep our weather over others. Wildfires seem pretty scary or mudslides.

ladypat1 thanked Cherryfizz
  • 6 years ago

In the Lake Superior snow belt, we get 200+ inches of snow per year. Begins in October and now, in May, there is still some on the ground. It gets old.

Mother Nature needs to get her sheet together.

ladypat1 thanked Elizabeth
  • 6 years ago

We get tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes (on the New Madrid Fault). In fact, on this date last year most of the bridges allowing access to/from St Louis (other than the Mississippi River bridges) were closed due to high water.

ladypat1 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Actually Calgary really doesn't get a lot of disasters compared to the east coast of the US. We had a bad flood in 2013, like really really bad. Downtown was closed. Underground parkades that were many stories under ground filled with water. Some much was destroyed. But flooding here happens maybe once every 100 years. The city has worked over time since then to upgrade everything so it doesn't happen again. Rain season is about to start and there's still a lot of snow on the mountains, so I'm hoping the ground thaws enough to let that water seep into the ground or all that work will really be tested this year.

We do have bad forest fires. Most of them are in BC, but the smoke comes this way. Last summer was ridiculous. I don't think we saw blue sky more than a hand full of times. The smoke was unreal and the sky was constantly brown/orange. My lungs haven't been the same since.

I wouldn't want to live through a tornado because they're so unpredictable. We do get them, but they seem to hit farms more than anything here. Or the odd campground. Or trailer park......... I can only think of two major tornados in Alberta since I was a kid.

We get tremors here, but not earthquakes. Being so close to the mountains I'm sure we'll feel more than just a tremor or two one day. My parents are closer to the west coast and they've felt some pretty strong tremors. Their fridge danced across the kitchen floor once...........

I don't know that I would 'trade' one disaster over another. They're all dangerous and scary. We are the "hail capital of the world" I do believe. Hail storms hit us so bad every year. As long as I'm inside when the hail storms hit, I'm okay. But I sure do worry about the roof when they hit.

ladypat1 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Well...I’ve been evacuated from approaching fires in California and experienced many many of the earthquakes there, large & small. In the 80’s we had 7 feet of water in our home due to hurricane weather in Lousiana. In Michigan, we have a variety of weather, but nothing as severe as I’ve been through already. The snow and ice can be challenging at times, it’s so pretty though. I don’t hate driving in it, but I do hate that my DH has to deal with the driveway. I’d much rather have all the seasons we have here than to not have them so it’s hard for me to say.

ETA: Cherryfiz who is only a stone’s throw from us brings up a good point, humidity. It may benefit all the greenery and nature, but I do hate humidity and the mosquitos and other bugs it seems to encourage.

ladypat1 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

We're in the greater Sacramento (California) area. We're not on an earthquake fault, but we feel the quakes in the Bay Area. Knock on wood we haven't been threatened by any wildfires (except for several years when kids playing with fireworks would inadvertently set fire to the open area behind our property. One year the fire burned half-way into our backyard [we have a very large lot] and we had a helicopter dumping retardant on our property). We have several days each Summer when the temp is over 114º F. Other than that, we're pretty good.

ladypat1 thanked Lindsey_CA
  • 6 years ago

I live in So. New England and while we've had every kind of weather you can -- hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, droughts, floods, blizzards -- I wouldn't trade our weather for anything as usually it's far milder and/or rarer than what so many others experience. And we have a nice mix of all 4 seasons. So yeah, I'm delighted my grandparents landed here and am happy we're still here.

ladypat1 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 6 years ago

Lady pat...stay safe tonight! I hope we are as fortunate as last night because as far as I know, no one was killed or injured. They have been predicting this storm system for several days so hope they are wrong!

ladypat1 thanked phoggie
  • 6 years ago

Southern NM. Mainly wildfires, but I don't think my house would ever burn since I'm in town. The air gets pretty nasty when it happens. Also an occasional tornado, and with all the fracking I might as well add earthquake. :(

ladypat1 thanked cooper8828
  • 6 years ago

Phoggie I have probably just jinked us, saying tornadoes aren't too bad. I have a 3 foot diameter tree in back yard just waiting to come down on my screened porch.

; )

• 6 years ago

We really only get hurricanes. And heat. I wouldn't trade. Hurricanes don't come along all that often, and there is lots of warning. I would hate to live in tornado country.

ladypat1 thanked aok27502
  • 6 years ago

I would I d trading our summer humidity for something else, but I can’t think what. Blizzards are no fun but since I no longer work, I can deal with it. I just dislike the expense of having the driveway cleared. My son’s house nearly burned down in the CA wildfires. I would not trade for that although when he sends me pictures of him on the beach in February, it is tempting.

ladypat1 thanked dedtired
  • 6 years ago

I hate the wind! Very scary! We've had 101mph through here before.

ladypat1 thanked nicole___
  • 6 years ago

We get earthquakes, wild fires, tornadoes, and hail the size of grapefruit. I live in tornado alley. I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world, unless my entire family came along.

I used to say I'd take a tornado over an earthquake any day, because tornadoes are predicable. The weather forecasters can track them right up to your doorstep and tell you exactly what time the door bell would be ringing.

Then Oklahoma started having earth quakes. So far the strongest has been around 5.0. **knock on wood** Not to bad. I think I'd stick with tornadoes, as long as the EQ's don't get any stronger.

Just prefer not to have them all at the same time. ;-)

ladypat1 thanked pudgeder
  • 6 years ago

Hurricanes, floods, during drought, fires. I would rather have some warning! No earthquakes or tornadoes thank you!

ladypat1 thanked terilyn
  • 6 years ago

Those Oklahoma quakes are because of fracking, IMO.

We felt the last 5.0+ quake from Oklahoma when we were visiting family in northeast Arkansas.

ladypat1 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Ladypat, I hope you are watching the weatherman...the one that was up and down several places north of me is heading into the Kansas City area right now.

ladypat1 thanked phoggie
  • 6 years ago

PNW here, too. Earthquakes are our biggest threat but the damaging ones only happen...maybe 4 in my 70 years and the worst damage I've sustained is my Waterford brandy snifters crashing out of the cupboards. People have been killed by falling building facades, etc. :-( The Cascade Mountains are made of a string of volcanoes, all dormant now (but so was Mt St. Helens), but that could change. Mt Rainier erupting would be devastating because of mud flows and flooding in high population areas.

We have rainy winters, glorious falls, summers and springs. Virtually no uncomfortable humidity because when it gets warm here it is dry. When it's wet, it's cool, so the humidity is not felt. Our summers seldom get into the 90's, but last year was a string of 100+ days with record drought. Things may be changing.

Once in a while there will be high wind storms but not hurricanes as such. And I've never heard of a tornado in Western WA, but there was one that did some damage on the Oregon Coast last year, a freaky thing for sure. Coastal areas could get a tsunami in a perfect storm.

But pretty much no sticky weather, just enough snow to be an "event" (once a year or every other year or two - enough to delay or close schools, but just because we aren't set up for much snow removal and there are lots of hills). No poisonous bugs or snakes on my side of the Cascades - few mosquitoes. Never seen a cockroach or known anyone who's had them, but I imagine they could exist here given the right conditions.

So when I see the weather disasters around the rest of the country, or read about the heat or humidity, alligators or poisonous bugs and snakes, I am so glad to live here!

ladypat1 thanked Olychick
  • 6 years ago

We get hurricanes, but not that often. We flooded very badly with the last one. Actually, the hurricane didn't hurt us. It went inland, turned around, came back and stalled out over us. I live on a bayou, but normally we don't flood here. I am not worried about flooding again. Not worried about hurricanes either. It is hot and humid here but I don't mind very much. I don't like cold weather. I wouldn't want to live where there are tornados. We do have them here but rarely.

ladypat1 thanked marilyn_c
  • PRO
    6 years ago

October-April: winter - want less

May: Spring - want more

June-August: Summer

September: Fall - want more

ladypat1 thanked MDLN
  • 6 years ago

Olychick - yes, no snakes. The windstorms are kinda cool to have every once in a while. And yes, it's true, we are useless drivers in the snow that we get two or three times a year.

ladypat1 thanked blfenton
  • 6 years ago

Heat, and sometimes fires in part of Arizona. We do have our desert critters though, like rattlesnakes.

ladypat1 thanked PattiG(rose)
  • 6 years ago

Heat and humidity and sometimes drought. I like that we have seasons but it was in the upper 30's two days ago and almost 90 today and tomorrow so no spring.

ladypat1 thanked lily316
  • 6 years ago

Here in valley-and-ridge Virginia we get a bit of everything, but usually only a bit. What I like least is drought. If my lawn dries up I don't care that much, if my flowers and shrubs start to droop I can water them somewhat, but I worry about the trees and the wild areas when we have months on end with little or no rain. Thankfully dry years are followed by normal or wet years, so far.

ladypat1 thanked nickel_kg
  • 6 years ago

I can't stand it when people here in Wisconsin complain about the weather. Some snow in the winter is expected. And summer is usually beautiful. What's to complain about?

ladypat1 thanked Julie
  • 6 years ago

We live in a tornado-prone area. Not much else. Four beautiful seasons, including some mighty hot summers in August. With the newer predictive tornado models and where we happen to live at the base of a mountai and near a major river, tornados seem to dissipate before getting to us. I wouldn’t trade the possibility of one for blizzards, earthquakes, and floods/mud slides or hurricanes.

ladypat1 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 6 years ago

Isn't it interesting that most everyone wants to keep their own environment, despite the disadvantages? Someone told me once that if we all brought our troubles to a big table and dumped them and were allowed to pick someone else's troubles to take home, everyone would take back their own troubles. Me too. Although the older I get, I would like to leave the winters in Kansas.

• 6 years ago

High heat, droughts and flooding. We hardly get any rain and when we do the ground is too dry to soak it up right away. One day out of nowhere we'll get dumped on by a bunch of rain and it floods. We have about 1 week of winter lol. If it rained 2-3 times a month I think I'd be happy. Oh and it never snows. Maybe once every couple of decades, if that. A day or two of snow each winter or even every other winter would be nice. :)

I have actually seen a storm system split on the radar once it was about to approach here and regroup itself on the other side. :\

ladypat1 thanked Hareball
  • 6 years ago

Rain, wind and some minor earthquakes. I'm in a big city so not much flooding and no tornadoes and fires.

So far we've been exempt from a major earthquake which they say is due for us. Let's hope that continues here. This place has gotten extremely crowded and a lot of people would be hurt! Fingers crossed, knock on wood!

In North Vancouver two Bridges away from us they get fairly bad flooding. We just get annoying power outages here. At this point I will happily settle for wind rain and power outages. Flooding, earthquakes, tornadoes, or the bad fires we've been getting here in BC Canada, none of that seems fair or right! My heart goes out to those with devastating losses from our crazy weather everywhere.

ladypat1 thanked yeonassky
  • 6 years ago

Like nickle_kg I live in Virginia, where we get the sampler-pack of disasters. A little of everything, but not too severe of any of it. In the time I've been here (since 1999) we've had one tornado but barely an EF-1, one direct hit by a hurricane (Isabel), one notable earthquake (5.8 on the Richter scale), two "apocalyptic" snowstorms, one lengthy drought, an occasional extended heatwave or cold spell, a microburst, a derecho, and a plague of locusts.

ladypat1 thanked bob_cville
  • 6 years ago

We get occasional hurricanes, occasional tornadoes, drought,and over bearing, unrelenting HEAT in the summer. We have 2 basic seasons, hot and hotter. The heat and drought bothers me the most, but I'm not about to relocate anywhere else. Mainly because most of my immediate family is within a 150 mile radius. And that's worth a whole lot! ! !

Rusty

ladypat1 thanked Rusty
  • 6 years ago

I'm just south of you in Oklahoma.

Here we get, tornadoes, earthquakes, hailstorm, ice storms, wildfires, floods, probably more I haven't listed.

ladypat1 thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • 6 years ago

I also live in the PNW and we really have nothing here weather-wise that is an issue. It doesn't even rain as much as many think!! No hurricanes, no tornadoes, not much snow and seldom severely cold or hot temps. No humidity to speak of. A few windstorms in winter but nothing to get very excited about. Also few major insect issues - no locusts, cicadas, mosquitoes, Japanese beetles.....just slugs and snails :-( Pretty much an ideal location, IMO :-))

There is always the possibility of a major earthquake - been through a few of those. Or one of our active volcanos blowing its top........but also the possibility of a comet smashing to earth, so nothing I really worry about. However, the small park down the street from me across from the beach has now posted a tsunami warning placard, which did give pause. But again, not something I'm going to spend time and effort worrying about.

ladypat1 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 6 years ago

I’ve always said OKlahoma’s best kept secret is its harsh weather.

i live in hurricane alley and can get tornadoes, we think we’re prepared for those. I lived thru a mild earthquake and thought I’d die. I saw an avalanche and thought I’d die. Watched a sunami on TV and thought I’d die. Saw an out of control fire coming towards us on the highway and thought I’d die. Angry Mother Nature is bad in any way, shape or form.

ladypat1 thanked bossyvossy
  • 6 years ago

Never mind what you *used* to like or not like. It's all changing as our atmosphere heats up and ocean currents slow down.

DH and I have lived in suburbs of Chicago all our lives (75+ years). We've wintered in Hawaii for 30 years. Change is accelerating in both places -- along with the rest of the world.

The EPA had begun to arrest some change. Pollution in Chicago had dropped a bit before the current administration decided to put the air we breath behind the interests of Big Business.

ladypat1 thanked chisue
  • 6 years ago

Aunt Audrey and pudgeder beat me to it:

Here we get, tornadoes, earthquakes, hailstorm, ice storms, wildfires, floods, probably more I haven't listed.

Oklahoma has the most natural disasters per capita and the 3rd in actual number, behind California and Texas. This spring the wildfires burned over 300,000 acres and 1,000 head of cattle. We are seeing changes—and not for the better.

ladypat1 thanked ccrunneroklahoma
  • 6 years ago

I grew up in earthquake country, 45 years in Alaska with a few years in Peru as a young child. I definitely understand the incredible power of earthquakes, but they don't scare me.

I now live in Idaho and thankfully we are not subject to major "Mother Nature" events. BUT--if the huge volcano under Yellowstone blows we are goners for sure!

ladypat1 thanked tvq1
  • 6 years ago

tvq1, I think the Yellowstone super-volcano erupts on average every 250000 years, and it last erupted 350000 years ago. There would likely be some warning, but it might be big enough that it wouldn't matter.

ladypat1 thanked bob_cville
  • 6 years ago

LOL Bob--I know, and I certainly don't spend any time worrying about it. I'm pretty sure I won't be around in 100k years ;}

ladypat1 thanked tvq1
  • 6 years ago

Well let me think about it! FLOODING! Hurricanes, tornadoes, drought, flooding, heat, humidity, flooding...

ladypat1 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 6 years ago

I wouldn't trade my Maine winter (and it is long) for tornadoes, hurricanes, big wildfires, or earthquakes. We have regular snow, wet snow, fluffy snow, icy roads, blizzards, short cold days, long cold nights,and ice storms. I minded it much more before I retired since my responsible self always showed up at work unless the power grid was down.

ladypat1 thanked dragonflywings42
  • 6 years ago

We have tropical storms, hurricanes, love bugs & snakes!

ladypat1 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Wildfires. Fire seasons starts in June and lasts until fall. We let out a sigh of relief when the fall rains finally arrive in late October.

We also deal with snow and have felt earthquakes, but nothing worries me like fire does.

ladypat1 thanked DawnInCal
  • 6 years ago

The NY Times put it nicely: "Mother Nature is in a perpetual state of war with California."

Nonetheless, it's all mostly good, especially if you live around the coast as we do. Just came back from a 5 day trip to Monterey/Carmel and am leaving soon for 6 days on the Sonoma County coast.

Left the Midwest in 1969 and don't wish to live there again. Hate winter and hate humidity, so that leaves 2 wks in the spring and 2 wks in the fall when I'm willing to visit (but I do miss those museums!).

ladypat1 thanked Jakkom Katsu
  • 6 years ago

I love winter weather. Love Spring and Autumn. I can't stand hot humid weather. Thank goodness for air conditioners. I think this year we bypassed Spring altogether and went from wiinter to summer haha.

ladypat1 thanked Cherryfizz
  • 6 years ago

We just had borderline hurricane winds go through on Friday. Over 100km hour winds. Uprooted giant trees, took down hydro poles, tore roofs off houses. Tractor-trailers were upturned on the highway.

Hydro was out for over 400,000 customers. Ours came on after 4 hours. The last time it was out for that length of time was in the dead of winter, before Christmas. At least it's light out till evening, so we could play cards LOL

ladypat1 thanked Jasdip
  • 6 years ago

Jasdip, I was speaking to a customer from Alberta yesterday and he told me about the winds. Horrible destruction!

ladypat1 thanked PKponder TX Z7B