SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi956

Cast your vote: Do I refinish or get something new?

andi956
15 years ago

Hi All,

I'm tearing out some hideous carpet (over concrete slab) and kitchen tile (over vinyl over some kind of wood. Pine, I think. It's 3" wide and sort of has a white or greenish tint.) It's kinda cool to find the wood because it is level with the oak I have. (For a while I've been doing the step-up but boy you notice a difference when you just glide in!)

My house was built in 1948 and it's very humble. So this isn't a fancy reno in a great house. There's little resale value in my neighborhood if (when??) I move. I'm a simple person and trying to use financial/earth's resources wisely.

Before I found the wood, 2 people gave quotes to install--both want to do an engineered floating floor over the concrete and nail down over the pine.

Now, however, I am wondering if it would be better/easier/cheaper/greener to just refinish the pine. That would, I suppose, involve sanding it, staining, and adding poly. Then, of course, I'd still have to install something in my living room over the concrete slab. I'd like the wood to match--closely but not perfectly--with the red oak that I have in the rest of the house. Just something that will give it "flow" (as you see into three rooms from either end of the house).

I need to read more about how to clean the vinyl glue off the wood. My one concern is taking it up in case it's got asbestos/other cancerous stuff in there. (One of the threads I read suggested that.)

If that's the case, maybe it's better to just float EW over the vinyl??

So...what do you think? Is the hassle of re-doing worse than installing something over what's there? Problems that I'm not seeing in either of these equations?

Comments (3)