SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kabergs

Cast your vote please! Bedroom color pics...

kabergs
16 years ago

I'm narrowing it down, and I have three favorites! Here is a picture of the current contenders with the bedding and a touch of the artwork:

{{!gwi}}

Here's my three favorites in natural light and with the room lighting

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Finally here's a picture of the room. The current comforter is going and the bedding will be the ivory/off white. It reads more orangey beige in some of the pictures than it really is:

{{!gwi}}

So, what do you think?? Also, any opinions of painting the ceiling/tray and all or how much of it would be welcome, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do there.

THanks!!!!

Comments (40)

• ideamom
    16 years ago

I like the darker one on the first pic but notice that is not in your final 3, so out of the 3 you picked I like the one on the far left. Paint the whole tray ceiling.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Far left of the three lower ones. (Or the upper right!)

Kabergs, I posted pics of my DD's Alex Blue bedroom a while back, but I don't think you were "here." It was right around the holidays. Just wondering if you saw it...

And I am also wondering which colors these are...? :-)

• Related Discussions

VOTE!! Pic included! About To Purchase this bedroom..

Q

Comments (29)
    First, your bedroom is just beautiful. Love the paint and white trim. I think whatever you choose will look great. I have to say that I would vote for Lexington furniture. We have a Lexington antique oak bedroom suite that is almost 30 yrs old and it still looks fabulous. I did switch out the original headboard when we replaced our mattress going from a queen to a king. I wanted to add a different texture to our BR, so I went with a metal headboard. No footboard, we have the space, but also have two labs who wouldn't be able to jump up onto the bed if I were to use a footboard:). As for the nightstands, I have similar nightstands to the narrower stands in your pics. However, ours have a top drawer and the bottom has a door. Tops are marble. The narrow night stands don't take up too much room, and for me that is a good thing. We have a very large bedroom, but definitely didn't want to over furnish. Also, those with wheels really don't appeal to me. Can't say enough good things about the Lexington furniture. Everyone I know who owns Lexington pieces loves them. Would love to see a pic when you've finished the room.
    ...See More

pale gray or tan pics in bedroom please?

Q

Comments (8)
    I am sorry but I was never able to find the pirula sites or your update yellow bedroom no more site either, but thanks for the advice. I did find one site with a photo of your color though. Thanks for the help. Still searching and am leaning towards BM sail cloth, but still unsure...so difficult sometimes to find the right color... RIGHT THE operative word because I have had some rooms in previous houses that I swear became a foot smaller with all the paint changes..lol
    ...See More

Please post pics of darker bedroom colors!

Q

Comments (28)
    I had mine painted today in Behr Tatami mat and I Love it ! I will post pics tomorrow. Also the Berh premium primer and paint in one is pretty amazing. My painter can't believe the coverage or the depth of color. Way cheaper than SW or BM too!
    ...See More

Is White Just Boring? Bedroom Color Help Please! (lots of pics)

Q

Comments (21)
    Lesmis, based on the feel you have described for the room, I think you are on the right track but could do better. I, too, have found great deals on quilts at marshalls and tjmaxx. I'd keep your eye out for patterns that are a bit more vintage and soothing. Also, for the vintage look, consider mixing patterns. Checks, stripes, florals can all work well together with a few common colors. I like to combine various florals but it can be hard to start with mixing florals. My TJMaxx has has had a couple of options with a subtle floral pattern on a white background-- paired with a similar stripe or a linen duvet cover would be gorgeous, simple, tranquil and classic vintage. I'd keep going down the path you are-- but don't settle. Stick with your vision.
    ...See More
  • organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Far right of the three lower ones in the first pic: Is it a smoky-blue color? I think it would give the room a depth and a sense of sereneness. The other choices look too bathroom-y to me. :)

• littledog
    16 years ago

I too prefer the darkest color on the upper right, but between your three favorites, my suggestion is to hold your hand up to the aqua tinted one on the left and the ever so slightly purplish tinted one in the middle. Which one makes you look more "tan"; i.e. less washed out, greenish yellow? That's the one you should go with.

Regardless of what's fashionable, or popular, always choose your bedroom colors to enhance your natural skin tones.

• les917
    16 years ago

I too prefer the darkest color in the first pix. I would use that on the bed wall, and the light shade that works with it on the other walls and the ceiling, except for the very top of the tray, which I would do in the dark color.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

The lighter the better, blue can get very depressive on dark dreary days.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Have you looked at F&B Powder Blue and Pale Powder? Also, Light Blue. I think they are lovely colors of blue. :)

http://www.designercolours.com/colours/3-Farrow_and_Ball

The "pale powder" is best represented in the attached link, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pale Powder

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

My first thought...the darkest!! Do you know how amazing your picture would look up aganist that blue!!

Smiles:)

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

Of the three I like the lower left one. The others seem too light and the one on the right looks periwinkle on my monitor. They sure do change colors in regular and natural lighting.

Do you have a close up of the bedding? Are you trying to pull the blue from the bedding or is it just that you like blue?

I am anxious to see what you decide!

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I like the darkest blue as well. The others seem more like off whites or pastels to me. Your room is nice and big and could easily take that dark color. IMHO

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like the far right. I think it's more interesting, too. I can picture changing the color of the pic frame a bit from the bright gold. Maybe more bronze-y and softer/lightened a bit was the first thing that came to mind.

Looks really pretty!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Another vote for the bottom right in the first photo. It's much more sophisticated than the other choices.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I like the far right too, although it does have a slight periwinkle tone to it. I like the airiness of the lighter colors, so agree that one of these three should do fine. The first one is a tad too aqua I think for your bedding.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

lindybarts: That's what I was thinking, too. :)

• duffy0401
    16 years ago

I like the bottom left. I do think that you may be able to pull off a darker color because you room seem pretty spacious and has a nice amount of light.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I also like the bottom right in the first photo also, as Lindy says, it does look more sophisticated. (As does the far-right in the last set I think.) I would worry about the amount of gray in it though, looking at the light in the full pic.

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks for the input. Hoyamom, this may help:

{{!gwi}}

There's no blue in it, I was just thinking peaceful and serene. Amy, you crack me up, here are the colors (all EK):

In the first photo:
    Cloud (upper left), SUmmer Sky (upper right)
    Bottom left to right: Dusk, Seaglass and Sky

Any my three favs:
    Dusk, Seaglass and Cloud.

The Sky gets very grey IRL, and the Seaglass has violet undertones. The Dusk is actually a good color blue and I like the Cloud as well. And I'm trying to visualize a half tint of the summer sky. To make matters more interesting, there's a BM that I like and forgot to photograph. I'll get that posted tomorrow. So that's where I stand....hopefully tomorrow will be a sunny day and I get get a better idea and maybe better pics.

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no I didn't see the pic of your daughter's bedding, the holiday's were crazy and I was barely on the computer. I'll have to go back and look. Thanks for letting me know.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

kabergs
    Your pics brought me back nearly 2 yrs ago - Our furniture looks very similiar & I had similiar looking paint swatches on the walls -

Funny after agonizing over paint, carpet - etc the painter used the paint for master bath in the bedroom - we went w/it - Paint is Devine & color is reef - i believe
    Outdated pic

maybe you can see the paint color better

good luck!

• kats
    16 years ago

I like the darker in the first set also. In fact I like either of the colors on the right of the first set. The reason...I can pick up those color in your painting. It kind of brings it alive for me. But then again, I'm looking at the colors my computer wants me to see! LOL I'm not sure I would paint the whole room the darker color but I'd paint at least the bed wall with the picture on it.

Of the colors you prefer I would choose the one on the right.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

The blue on the far right out of your favorites seems like a peaceful blue.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

jejvtr: That is a beautiful blue.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I like the one of right of the threesome. the very light blue.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Okay, now that I know the actual colors, I still vote for the lower left, because I know it is Dusk. I think Summer Sky is a bit too strong for a bedroom. I admit I am not familiar with Cloud. I must not have that chip yet... It reminds me of the MS Atlantic I have in my bathroom. And I still like Dusk!

You can look at the Alex Blue but obviously the point is moot since it didn't make the final running. I think that's good, btw, as it's too pale a color. IMVHO! ;-)

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

jejvtr, I agree with Organic, that is a beautiful peaceful blue on your walls. I vote for this blue.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Okay, found the thread. Search did NOT work. PITA....

Here is a link that might be useful: Alex Blue

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Ok, I had Ellen create a Dark Summer Sky for my living room wall in WI - I had an accent wall with SW Coconut Grove (old color - need to ask for it) on the rest of tthe walls.

Remember this is 2 shades darker than normal EK Summer Sky.

I created my own blue from leftover Dark Summer Sky added to white and some gray. Love this color!!

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks threedgrad and jejvtr! THose are all great blues!!

Amy, thanks for finding that thread for me. Your daughter's room is beautiful! The Alex Blue looks completely periwinkle on my monitor. I have a feeling it would do the same on my walls as the Seaglass is very violet here.

I took a new pic this morning, but its dark and rainy. I didn't use a flash at all so the pic is a little grainy but it gives you a much more realistic look at the colors. The small top one is the BM I was referring to yesterday, Yarmouth Blue. If that's my final choice I'm going to do it in full spectrum but even that may be too dark for the look I'm after. On the bottom is stil Dusk, Seaglass (which is out b/c of the violet) and Cloud. (Amy, cloud is a custom color. Theresa threw the sample in with my Dusk jar)

{{!gwi}}

Now here's where I over analyze. Dusk first, then Cloud are my favs and the BM is still calling to me. BUT, I am naturally drawn to the stronger colors. My current EK colors are Edgewood Green, Moutarde, PUmpkin Spice and soon Adobe and Tulip Leaves. I'm actually nervous about going to a lighter shade. I think my hesitation is I've seen people use poor choices of lighter colors, in horrible paint finishes. My MIL has a flat outdated peach color in her kitchen that may in fact be craft paint and I keep thinking of that. I know I'm talking about apples and oranges in comparing her walls to what I'm doing, but I can't seem to get past it. Am I crazy to think I can acheive a sophisticated and restful room using one of these colors??

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Ahhh, the beauty of full spectrum. I finally got my EK sample cards out to look at your choices IRL. On the monitor, they looked very pale blue until your last post without a flash, in which they look more lilac-y. Under my full spectrum lightbulbs in the kitchen I see more of a violet or lilac-y to them. Now I am sitting next to a window, cloudy and rainy today, and I see more pale, pale blue with a hint of grey! It's no wonder paint is such a challenge! I have to confess that I too thought your bedding had a hint of blue that you were trying to pickup on. My mind was thinking Azure and Wedgewood or Oasis. I have been no help kabergs. I have only added to your confusion I'm afraid!

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know kmcg, after reading your post, I tried the swatches I have by my window hoping they would give some more insight. It's amazing how much her colors change. So, here's another view:

{{!gwi}}

I've eliminated Cloud and am back to Dusk (which is the bottom of the painted patches) and the BM color. Is the BM too dark?

• mqmoi
    16 years ago

I never met a blue paint sample I liked, particularly in the EK sample pack, until I visited a Restoration Hardware store and brought home their samples. I actually set aside 1-2 of their blues for a something-yet-to-be-determined, and I don't even like pale blue.

The color in jejvtr's second photo really is devine. It looks real and fresh.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

They're all pretty, but I still like the very pale, fresh wisp of a blue with your comforter. Although, your woods and other furnishings are certainly also a big consideration.

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Squirrel, I *thought* I just ruled out the cloud!!! Back onto the wall it goes. I think I just need to keep staring at my walls until inspiration hits! This could take a while!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Can you paint very large swatches, or on poster boards to move around? Seems like you've moved on to the finals :)

Remember the two-coats test, too! It may be that the Cloud will come up intensely light, rather than the peaceful color it looks in the small pic.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Now that it is nightime, what do they look like by lamplight? Are you going for pale, pale, blue? I have them right next to me and I still see a faint hint of the lilac/grey. I am looking at sky, seaglass and dusk. Of those three, dusk is the most blue. It is prettiest of the three.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

"It is prettiest of the three." Ha, ha, ha, kmcg :)

I'll have to pull them out. How much blue do you want is key :)

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

I am feeling your pain! Those blues are so subtely different it is so hard to tell them apart but when you get them next to something (like white) they sure are different!! For my J&J bathroom I kept flip flopping between seaglass and oasis and now I have decided on aqua!!! I look at the sample board I painted and I really like it paired with the white tile but when it's by itself - it's just OK. So really, I know what you are going through!!

I think you just have to go with your gut feeling on how each one makes you feel. If there isn't a blue you are trying to match from your bedspread then you need to pick the one you keep going back to. Remember, you will be surrounded by this color so you want to love it!!

It's a good thing you are seeing it on all sorts of weather days = rainy/sunny so you get a true feeling of the color.

Good luck and keep us posted. When is your painter coming?

I put my painter off until I could decide on all of the colors. I'm just about there but I want to talk to Ellen first.

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My painter is coming Tuesday for the foyer (Adobe) and bonus room (Tulip Leaves). I decided to paint my bedroom myself instead so the painter could do the bonus room. That room has way too many angles for me to attempt. So, I have some time to decide but Ellen is waiting for me to let her know if I need that BM Blue full spectrum.

I know I need to decide just how much blue, which I think is my issue. I love darker colors but I'm afraid that being surrounded by too much blue will be depressing which is why I'm leaning toward lighter blues. Plus I keep going back to the "soothing, inducing sleep" characteristics of blue. Maybe tomorrow will be sunny, I'll paint a large area of Dusk and put the comforter on the bed isntead of using the valance.

I didn't have this much trouble picking any of the other colors for the house. I'm sure I'll be calling my neighbor in for her opinion sometime tomorrow too!

Hoyamom, I love the Aqua. And I still really like the Seaglass!

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

It is good that you will get another opinion. My DH just tells me what he doesn't like LOL but gives me no suggestions as to what color to go with. I am thinking about cognac for the mbr but I don't want anything peachy and someone said it looks peachy at certain times of the day. I want a rich color and bronze looks nice but when Ellen sent me the new set of sample cards the new bronze card looked totally different from my old bronze card. I really liked the old bronze but do not like the new. Strange. Actually the new card mustard seed looked totally different than my old card (old card matches my painted walls perfectly). The adobe card looks different too. Maybe she changed the formula since I got my original set of cards or maybe the paint itself has changed (like a new formula VOC). We shall see. I want darker colors too and DH wants light so for our foyer it may be wheat - though I would like a darker color. We are using gustavian grey for his office which is located off the foyer. He likes that one!!

Well, like I said, keep us posted! Show pics of the other colors too when you get them painted.

• kabergs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hoyamom,it sounds like your finishing the painting of the rest of the house like us Strange how the sample cards are so different. I have an older (1 1/2 year) sample card of Adobe and it looks right on to the paint I picked up yesterday. It's a shame about the bronze, that's odd, a must ask when you talk to her. Keep me posted. I like wheat and gustavian grey. I have the GG on my dr and living room ceiilings.

I'll have pictures up when the painters leave (I'm so tempted to ask them for a quote to do the kids downstairs playroom, their bathroom and my bedroom while they are here!!! I'm a touch nervous about the adobe being too dark but it's too late now!