SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dottieb_nc

Plan too ambitious?? Please help with my bathroom vanity ideas!

Dottie 7B
5 years ago

My master bathroom remodel is almost entirely planned out. I still need to figure out the mirror and lighting set-up for the vanity. Demo is starting in three weeks (start date recently pushed back). I would love to hear feedback from the community on my ideas. Am I being too ambitious? Has pinterest caused me to lose grip on reality? Ha.

Below is my plan board. There will be a frameless glass shower, V&A slipper clawfoot tub, white subway tile on shower wall and tub surround, white porcelain hex tile on shower floor, honed carrara marble basketweave floor with gray grout, gray marble trim creating a floor border around the tub, honed carrara marble countertop, Rohl polished nickel fixtures, new window replacing glass block. The ONLY thing staying is the wooden vanity.

Samples for countertop, subway tile, floor, and paint color:

Trim for floor border around tub:

Huge thanks to the Houzz forum for helping me decide on the floor and the trim (especially Beth)!

Okay, here is the vanity area I started with. Again, the only thing staying is this wooden vanity. My home is decorated in a simple French country style with some antiques and vintage pieces, so I'm not a fan of the craftsman elements in here.

Removed the tower and will not re-install. Don't need the storage and prefer to open the room up and allow the marble counters to shine. Here's what I have now:

I plan to replace the hardware with these RH glass and polished nickel knobs:

MEASUREMENTS:

Ceiling height = 9'

Vanity = 86"Lx20"Dx36"H

Current mirrors = 21x31"

Top of mirror to bottom of light fixture backing = 10.5 inches

Space between two mirrors currently = 31.5"

My poorly-drawn floor plan. (My contractor made real floor plans, but I don't have them on hand.)

Based on this dream bathroom inspiration photo below, I got the idea to create a sit-down vanity area in the middle of the counter, between the two sinks.

I would love to have a place to sit down to apply makeup, blow dry hair, etc. If I removed the bottom three drawers in the middle of the vanity, there would be a space of 28"Hx23"L. I could fit underneath with the right size stool. I would not miss the storage space and re-sale is not an issue because this is our forever home. Of course, this photo is a dream, but I found some realistic photos that are not too different from what I have:

Do you think this would work in my bathroom? If so, I am considering two options for mirror and lights, either one large mirror or three smaller mirrors.

OPTION A: 1 big mirror, 2 double sconces over the sinks.

RH Aged Silver-Leaf Baroque Mirror: 42"Hx70"L

This mirror would cover almost all the vertical space between the countertop backsplash and the overhead lights. Horizontally, it would extend to cover all but a couple of inches over the end of each sink.

I think this mirror would warm up my bathroom without being too ornate. Below are pictures I took in the store. The color to the left is my large paint sample, the jar is polished nickel like my fixtures, and the countertop is honed Carrara marble.

Of course, the photo below is a different scale and mine would hang horizontally:

I would put two double sconces overhead where the current light fixtures are located above the sinks. I considered triple sconces, but they would extend beyond the end of the mirror. These are RH Wiltshire in polished nickel, but I'm open to others. 13"Wx7"Dx12"H

The pros: no electrical work, no drywall work, no worry about spacing between mirrors, large mirror to help open the space more. The cons: no differentiation among the three different "work" areas, worry that the scale is too overwhelming, less light, overhead light only.

OPTION B: 3 smaller mirrors: recessed medicine cabinets over the sinks and an ornate mirror over the vanity area.

I'm considering these recessed cabinets from Pottery Barn (open to suggestions):

Astor Recessed 20"x33" - this one similar to my dream inspiration photo

Vintage Recessed 17"x25" (also available in 21"x34") - This one more streamlined and narrower to allow more space for the middle mirror.

For the middle vanity mirror, I would want a stand-out piece that still flows with my space. I love the one in my dream inspiration photo, but think it's a bit much. The RH Baroque mirror that I would use for Option A does not come in a small enough size to use here. Another one I like is the RH Salon Gilt Mirror, but not sure about the deep golden color. Also comes in silver. 26"x48"

For lighting I would do four single sconces flanking the mirrors. But would there be enough room for sconces on each side of the center vanity mirror? There is only 31.5" between the mirrors now, which are 31" wide. If I use 27" medicine cabinets, that gives a bit more breathing room... My contractor would work this out to ensure proper spacing, but I want to vet the idea before bringing it to them.

Single sconce: 5"Wx7"Dx12"H

Pros: style similar to dream bathroom photo, differentiation among the three areas, highlight of vanity area with pretty mirror, additional storage via medicine cabinets, more flattering light from side sconces. Cons: maybe too smushed looking in real life, concern about room for sconces, must pay for drywall work to recess medicine cabinets and electrical work to install side sconces (we're already pushing the budget).

I would be so appreciative of any feedback on these options. First, should I even try to create a vanity area? (I really want one!) If so, which mirror and light option? I'm so deep into this process, I'm worried I've lost all perspective. :)

Comments (49)

• Rio Brewster
    5 years ago

The sit down vanity is going to be hard. You would have to saw off the framing and back of your current vanity, sand everything down to perfectly flush, then find matching panels and trim to cover the sides. In order to get the elegant look you are going for, you would need to find someone very accomplished with woodworking who would be willing to modify your cabinet.

It would be easier to just replace your cabinets IMHO.

Dottie 7B thanked Rio Brewster
  • Rio Brewster
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

And don't trust your contractor for placement of anything. You have to be very specific with them, otherwise they will do what is easiest for them, which will hardly ever be what you want.

And I doubt the two double sconces are going to give you the task lightning you need. Check the wattage of the bulbs. I bet these are 60 watt candelabras - not that bright to begin with - then you put fabric shades over them.

Optimally you want lighting on either side of your face when you are applying makeup.

• Related Discussions

Floor plan help - master bedroom & bathroom doors too close?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks so much for your input everyone! Bevangel, special thanks to you for modifying my picture. It definitely helps to have a visual! I think moving the doors further into the hall will work, and should be very easy for the builder to do. We'd lose a little more exterior hallway space (the bedroom doors were originally at the dotted line), but having the longer hallway within the master bedroom will be more dramatic. I love this website! I'm glad I finally decided to join and stop lurking. ;)
    ...See More

Help me plan my bathroom remodel

Q

Comments (5)
    If you want timeless, then do white for your fixtures and tile and forgo the blue and brown except in the paint and accessories. Maybe do the vanity in the chocolate, but with a white vanity top and sink. 4K isn't a lot to spend on a bath, even if you are DIY on the labor. The vanities will cost you around $1500-$2500 if you do the more custom double vanity with the drawer base in the middle, and that imprisons you to a more expensive custom counter as well. You just went over budget, and you've only got as far as the vanities. Despite the expense of redoing the plumbing, I think you can stretch the budget further by having 24" individual vanities that you can find as stock at one of the box stores and individual mirrors above them. You can probably do that for $1000, including the tops. FOr the tub, to be able to use it as a shower, it needs to have an integral tile flange on it to seal out moisture infiltration from behind your walls. You'll need to tear out the current tile to ascertain if it has that. If it doesn't then replacing it with a nice, slightly deeper soaking tub can be done for around $400. If you want a jetted tub, American Standard sells a $699 one at HD with a lifetime warranty and the new system that angles the internal jets downward so that all the water drains out when you empty the tub. That keeps it from sitting there getting yucky. It's a great buy, and can be used as a shower too. The real necessary expense is updating the tub faucet with a tub/shower valve that contains the new anti scald technology. A thermostatic valve is the better but more expensive choice here. Classic subway tile mixed with some classic 4x4 and 6x6 for the shower walls would let you do an interesting tone on tone pattern but not break the bank. White tile for the floor may seem "boring" but it lets you use any color accessories that you want to liven it up. And, using the layout to add pizazz just like the shower will work to add interest also. Paint the walls a pretty silvery blue and put in chocolate and blue towels and your vision is complete--and on budget!
    ...See More

Please help with ideas to reconfigure bathroom

Q

Comments (23)
    You can lower the ceilings but you'd have a regular ceiling on the first floor. It's not that you can't; it's that you don't want to. Personally for safety reasons, I'd put a ceiling up on the first floor and hide the plumbing in the ceiling. I think a step up into a bathroom is a huge safety issue. I can see the first time someone decides to walk out of the bathroom with some water dripping and they slip down those steps.
    ...See More

Help with the master bathroom layout in my floor plan

Q

Comments (21)
    assuming (until I see the original floor plan) that the bathroom set up / location is pretty much set -- move door to bath down to bottom of image, make vanity a one-vanity / two sink option to the top of the doorway, move window over the 12 inches you say you can move it, put tub down by exterior, shower next, and toilet to the top. Use frosted glass on the window, and set it higher, and maybe narrower, for privacy. Depending how you work on the exterior view of the house, it does not have to match the other windows. It's not like your house is symmetrical to begin with. (As a possibility, you could make the window on the right side of the door match - without frosting - what you need to do with the Master Bath one?)
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    5 years ago

With this level of project I would just bite the bullet and replace the vanity. It looks out of place, and it doesn't provide one of the functions you want. If it provided the right function, you could paint it and add moulding inside the rails and panels over the recessed panels, but having to modify it also...that's two strikes against it.

Dottie 7B thanked palimpsest
  • Helen
    5 years ago

I can't imagine that reworking the cabinets to provide for a vanity would be cost effective.

I am currently remodeling my master bath and installing a seated vanity area because I too like to sit while grooming. FWIW, in general the counter area for the vanity portion is lower than the sink portion - especially when standard for the sink portion of a vanity has been raised to at least 36" - if not higher.

Since you are not planning to resell (neither am I), do you actually need two sinks. I am getting rid of one sink in my master because I spend only minutes actually needing to be above the sink to wash face and brush teeth - everything else doesn't require being over the sink and I prefer the seated vanity AND more counter space versus two sinks.

Dottie 7B thanked Helen
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I have removed doors of a cabinet and replaced with a curtain to form a sit down desk area in my family room. I do think that would be easier if you went to one sink and removed doors rather than drawers just because there would be less to repair of the cabinet. The drawers probably have metal glides screwed into the side of the cabinet which will need to be removed. The horizontal frames for the drawers will need to be removed also and there is a good chance that will reveal some unstained areas on the vertical frames (been there, done that). I don't know about removing the toe kick area. I kept mine in case I ever revert it back, but also I am short and don't mind the higher foot area, though I cannot push a chair under the space.

I don't have a problem with keeping the vanity - I did that in one of my bathrooms that also has hex tile and subway tile. I have a touch of French country in my house too. I am jealous of the tub. I hope for similar in time but a master redo is far down the list:) I missed whether you plan on painting it are not. I did not paint any of my vanities except the one in the powder room. When I look at homes in France on-line I often see wood vanities and cabinets.

I would caution about too much cool gray with a warm wood vanity - I am thinking wall color, not the tile. Something like SW Sea Salt or Rainwashed, both green / grays would be better than a cool gray if gray is what you are considering.

Dottie 7B thanked jhmarie
  • Rio Brewster
    5 years ago

You haven't said what your budget is - but having just gone through a new build with a stand-alone tub, polished nickel faucets and hardware and a frameless shower enclosure, this is going to be very expensive.

A wall mounted faucet for your tub in polished nickel is going to be at least $700, and the frameless shower enclosure $3,000.

If you haven't already, I would sit down with a spreadsheet and figure out what all the materials you are looking at are going to cost you. Plus you have to pay for labor.

People think that because a bathroom is a relatively small room, the labor won't cost that much. But you will need every trade - carpentry, plumbing, electrical and tile. It adds up fast.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rio, the total without the mirrors and lighting is $27,000. We already paid 20%, materials have been ordered, and demo begins in three weeks. I figured I would do mirrors and lighting on my own - simple, right? - but it's more complicated than I anticipated. Unfortunately, a new cabinet is not in our budget, so I may have to give up the vanity idea. I thought the cabinet design was simple enough to work well with the new design.

• Rio Brewster
    5 years ago

That's a great price.

It's always more complicated than you anticipate. ;^). And it will take longer.

It will be painful and at a certain point you will just want it to be over.

But be patient and stick to your guns to make sure everything is done to your satisfaction. Once it's done you will forget about how painful the process was!

Good luck!

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Rio! You mentioned that two double sconces with shades won't be enough light. If I got the one large mirror, I would have room on each sides for a single sconce. Do you think that would work and look okay?

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Palimpsest, do you think the cabinet looks very out of place? I was hoping that the look was minimal enough to fit with the new design, and balanced out the more feminine features (clawfoot, fixtures) to keep the room from feeling too fussy. I would have a hard time convincing my husband that we should replace the cabinet, since it's still in good condition (unlike everything else) and our budget keeps going up. On the other hand, we're already spending a lot, so want the end result to look good...

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Helen, I like the idea of more counter space, but I definitely need two sinks. It seems like my husband and I are always trying to hurriedly brush our teeth at the same time, while somewhere in the distance a baby cries. :)

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JHMarie, I like the idea of putting a curtain in front of the vanity portion. That could be a way to avoid having to make the sides and back of the area perfect (I checked and there is wood on the sides and back behind the drawers, but it is unstained). I immediately thought of the Giannetti's bathroom, which is perfection. Worried my attempt may look like a pinterest fail, though.

As I told Helen, though, I need to keep two sinks, so couldn't simply take off the cabinet doors.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, paint color is Farrow & Ball Peignoir. It's a sort of dusty, mid-tone grayish pink. You can see the color in the first two pictures and in the close up of the RH mirror (sample held up next to the mirror). I think it goes well with the marble and the vanity - not too warm or cool. I haven't ordered the paint yet, so it's not too late to change my mind.

Here's the paint sample next to the cabinet and the marble, though the lighting in the photo is a bit off. The color is a little lighter and pinker IRL.

I do not plan on painting the cabinet. I'd like to keep some natural wood tone and I plan to put a small wooden table by the tub and bench in the shower to balance the other side of the room. If it ends up looking off, then I can paint afterward, but I'd rather save the money if possible.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Based on the feedback above, sounds like I should abandon the sit-down vanity idea. So the vanity will stay as-is, now the decision is one or two mirrors.

Option A: One mirror that would cover the entire vertical area between backspash and lighting fixutres and all but a couple of inches on the end of each sink horizontally. Two double sconces above each sink (triple would overhang the mirror) and two single sconces, one on each side. This would require electrical work to hardwire the two side sconces.

Option B: Two smaller mirrors, one above each sink with a triple sconce over each mirror. This would require no electrical work. The rendering is not accurate to scale. There would actually be about 30" of blank space between the mirrors. That's the main reason I am considering one large mirror instead. If this, should I also add side sconces (electrical work required)? How many?

A couple of people remarked that the cabinetry looks out of place in the new design. I'm hoping to keep as-is because it is in good condition and I'm already at the top of my budget. But please let me know if you absolutely think the vanity should be replaced. Many thanks for any input!!

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    I think the vanity will be fine, a touch of wood is nice in all that cold marble. However I think the tub “framing” tile is too busy with that floor.

I would go with side sconces and no overhead sconce (definitely don’t do both). Side lighting is better for bathroom.
    Dottie 7B thanked Bri Bosh
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, if I do one big mirror, I cannot do side sconces only because there's room only for two about 80" apart. I would have to do only overhead if the combo idea is out.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Why not two smaller mirrors?
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bri, thank you so much for the input. I love the set up in the photo you posted! Unlike that photo, my sinks are quite far from each other. The current mirrors are 31" apart, where the tower used to be. I guess part of my question is, would two mirrors over the sinks look good even with the space in between or would one large mirror look better? The mirrors cannot be too big because there's nowhere to relocate that big light switch on the left.

• Rio Brewster
    5 years ago

I think the two mirrors with sconces on either side will look best and work best.

in the middle you can put a piece of art or towel rings.

And I agree that your vanity will be fine. Buy some fancy pulls for the drawers.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! I'm going to ask my contractor how much to hardwire side sconces and remove current lighting. Towel rings on the wall are a good idea, as they used to be hung on the tower and I was wondering where to hang them now.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    If you are unsure, tape it out on the walls (shape of mirrors and sconces) to see how it will look!
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

I like your style! This is going to look awesome once its all completed. Let us be your cherry on top :)

Dottie 7B thanked Designer Drains
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bri, I'm going to try the tape idea tomorrow and take pictures. Thanks!

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Wait, you are abandoning the sit down vanity? I love mine and use it every single day. Is there anyway to bite the bullet and get a new one?

Also, you appear to have a lot of patterns of tile going on, but, if Beth has been helping you then it should be okay.

Dottie 7B thanked Kathi Steele
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kathi, unfortunately I have to abandon the sit down vanity idea, if I can't easily modify the current vanity. We're already spending quite a bit more than we anticipated, due to my "need" for marble and a fancy tub. There's no way my husband would agree to another expense.

I definitely don't want the bathroom to look busy with patterns. I hope the selections will look subtle. The white subway tile is for the shower walls and tub surround and the white hex is for the shower floor because I don't want the maintenance of marble there. All that is with white grout, so the patterns will not be prominent. The basket weave on the floor will have soft gray grout and the floor tub border is actually the same carrara basket weave tile pattern, only with a gray marble trim and dots.

I decided on a floor border around the tub because most of the marble basket weave inspiration photos I like have some kind of border, and I thought a full room border would be too much for my space.

Kind of like this, but all the same tile and on a smaller scale:

My contractor will lay it out for me to see first, so if it looks bad, I can change my mind.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I used my daughter's sidewalk chalk to outline the one large mirror option. This is with the Restoration Hardware Baroque Silver-Leaf mirror, 70"Lx42"H. (I've read some bad reviews of RH products, but searched high and low and cannot find any other mirror this size that I like.)

You can see that it takes up most of the vertical space between the counter and lights. I'm considering two triple Pottery Barn lights where the current ones are, slightly smaller to barely overhang the mirror. I also marked where two matching single side-sconces could fit. Someone advised not to do both. Is that a design don't? Side sconces would bring in some extra flattering light but wouldn't be enough on their own.

It seems the general advice is to go with two mirrors with side sconces. I'll outline that when I have more time. But for now I prefer one large mirror. I think it would help open the space up and also look cleaner and less busy.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Your contractor may also be able to put a third sconce in the center of the mirror, between the two sinks.

Master Bath · More Info
    In this bathroom, the side sconce is on the side wall and the center one is on the mirror. Yours could be on the same wall as the mirror, but off the mirror, and have one between the sinks on the mirror or you could have two, one next to each sink on the mirror, since the sinks are so far apart.

Dottie 7B thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Have you figured out which vanity you are getting yet? That should be your decision before mirrors.
  • Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Dottie, I think it looks lovely!

And the inspiration picture looks wonderful!

I think you will have the kind of bathroom that when you walk in you just say "AHHHHH"

Dottie 7B thanked Kathi Steele
  • athomeeileen
    5 years ago

You should go to a mirror/glass shop for a custom size. Your contractor can add trim to frame it.

Dottie 7B thanked athomeeileen
  • athomeeileen
    5 years ago

I love framing the tub. I had hoped to do the same with a recent remodel but my bathroom was to small for the look.

Dottie 7B thanked athomeeileen
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bri, I will leave the vanity as-is, switching out the top for marble and the hardware for glass knobs.

Kathi, thanks so much! I hope so! Right now I walk in and go ugggh. Lol.

Eileen, I'm glad you like the tub framing idea. I think it will add a special touch, hopefully not too busy. I'm going to look into pricing for a combining your and Nancy's suggestions: custom framed mirror with sconce in the middle. The RH mirror is pretty expensive, so it may even out.

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

Can anything be done about that triple switch so you can have the proper size mirror? It looks really off stopping it at the edge of the sink. I saw some stylish vertical triple switch plates when I googled.

Dottie 7B thanked mayflowers
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Oh so sorry, forgot you’re keeping that vanity!! Duh. One other option if you did side sconces...
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh goodness, you all have given me so much to think about! I'm trying not to drive my project manager crazy, but I will ask her about these options. I worry it will all get too expensive, but I may as well ask. Nancy, I'm excited about the possibility of a sit-down vanity again. Mayflowers, yes, that triple switch is a pain. I never thought about rearranging them vertically. Thanks! Bri, that photo is lovely and the countertop looks very similar to mine in size and spacing. That big empty space between the two mirrors is what I'm trying to avoid. I'd have to figure out what to put there.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Big beautiful orchid!
  • mayflowers
    5 years ago

If there's a solution for the switch plate, I'd use two rectangular mirrors with a single sconce on each end and a double sconce between the mirrors. The double sconce solves a lot of the problem of a blank wall. I'd draw it on graph paper first to get all the sizing and spacing right.

Coastal Casual · More Info

I'd also stain the vanity to eliminate the orange tone. That can be done when your funds recover.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I agree that the vanity, though in good shape, will look nicer with a facelift of sanding, staining and a new finish being applied. You will see why once all of the new things are around it. I agree that this can wait until the bank account recovers, too. Some colors of wood look nicer against the grays of marble and you may find that you prefer a different color when the room is done.

Dottie 7B thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have an update and would love to get some feedback before I order the final accessories. (Demo begins one week from today!)

I got a quote for replacing the vanity with white cabinetry complete with a sitting area, plus hardwiring of sconces. The costs all added up to too much for me, so I'm sticking with my vanity and overhead lighting location.

I feel great about my choices for tile, bath tub, paint, and fixtures. My worry is that all the little accessory details won't quite work together, diminishing the beauty of the bathroom as a whole. I need to buy the accessories soon; here's what I have in mind.

With overhead lighting instead of sconces, I prefer one large mirror. The mirror is by Pottery Barn, a wooden frame with gold gilt, 72" x 36". Perfect size for the space, very very very hard to find. This is technically a floor-length mirror, so I hope it can be mounted horizontally! PB customer service was useless when asked.

The lights are also PB, polished nickel. For practical reasons, I ruled out any overhead lights that take type B bulbs (too dim) and have fabric shades (too hard to clean). As a big plus, these are on sale for $170 each. Do they go with the mirror and the rest of the room?

Chandelier is PB, 18" diameter, antique brass, UL-listed. This will be over the tub on a dimmer. It was hard to find a chandy that's not too big, ornate, and/or expensive.

Knobs and pulls are glass and polished nickel from Restoration Hardware.

Towel ring, TP roll, and hook are Ballard Design in polished nickel.

Fabric for the roman shade is gray on cream linen.

Shower bench is Signature Hardware in teak. I hope this will help tie in the wood of the vanity with the other side of the room.

Towel warmer is polished stainless steel (no nickel option) from Signature Hardware.

If anything doesn't quite mesh or looks wrong, I would love to hear, as well as any suggestions for alternatives!

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the fixtures I've already selected. Love them, need to make sure everything else goes well with them. Rohl, polished nickel.

My Victoria and Albert tub

Carrara basketweave floor tile (with carrara countertop)

Paint color - Farrow & Ball Peignoir

Oh, I still need to pick my trim color! Thinking BM White Dove. Does anyone have a recommendation for a white trim color that goes well with carrara marble and white tub?

• Side3
    5 years ago

I’m a bit late to the party , but hear goes- for the most part you have made some really great choices. I think it will be beautiful and elegant when you are done. I have 2 things to say, have you ever tried to put on makeup while sitting at a counter? You can’t get close enough to the mirror to see what you’re doing. I had one and hated it, I always had to stand up and lean over the counter to get close to the mirror- a total pain (literally, in the hip) Unless of course you are planning on having a magnifying mirror sitting on your counter that is lit so you can actually see what you’re doing. So no sit-down vanity is not a loss in my book. The single mirror seems too large and overwhelming. The space between two mirrors is an excellent place for a piece of art or perhaps a romantic pic of you and your husband on vacation or a nice wedding picture. So, I vote for two mirrors with sconces on either side for better general lighting, that is more flattering light than an overhead light ever gives your face. Good Luck and keep us posted

Dottie 7B thanked Side3
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience with a sit-down vanity, pirateroo! I haven't used one before and hadn't thought of that problem. My plan is simply to buy a small vanity desk and mirror for my bedroom where I can sit to do my makeup and blow dry my hair. This will be a fraction of the price of a bathroom vanity change and should be more comfortable to use. My bedroom needs more decor, anyway. :)

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

Looks good. Glad that you found a mirror. I love the fabric for the shade.

The only thing that gave me pause was the lights, which seem a little plain compared to all the glamour and glitz of your other materials, but I think it's good to pull back so that everything isn't so embellished that your bathroom becomes a cliche. In the kitchen forum we call it "too many clowns" when every element is vying for attention.

That leads me to wonder whether you should do a plain glass knob and pull like the RH Vintage knob and pull. I think they suit the vanity better than the ornate cut crystal. I like to think of lights, mirror, and vanity as one unit and find some type of relationship between the elements. In this case, it's the repeating rounded shapes in the faucet, sconces, and hand towel ring.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mayflowers, I love those knobs and pulls! Now that you pointed this out, I totally see what you're saying. I definitely want to avoid having the room look cliche and theme-y. I think these simple, rounded glass knobs will look lovely with my other selections. Thanks so much!

Searching for lights has been difficult. The best designs seem to be used for side sconces, while overhead lights are much more basic. Hoping the ones I have in mind are simple and classic enough to work.

I found these from Circa Lighting in crystal and polished nickel, but they may be too much with all the other elements, plus they are $700 each (yikes!).

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

I like about four styles of all of the over-the-mirror lights I've seen. I was looking forward to changing to sconces because they are so much prettier, but we decided it wasn't worth having the electrician move the boxes. We don't have any trouble using the vanity light at the mirror. I seldom wear make-up and I let DH know if he missed a spot shaving.

Think of your bathroom as "quiet elegance" rather than Hollywood glam. That's why I love the fabric. The chandelier and tub fixtures give you bling for the tub, which is the area for indulgence, both physically and visually.

• Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Quiet elegance is the feeling I prefer, for sure. Okay, I ordered all the accessories, including the vintage RH hardware pulls you suggested. I'm so grateful for that advice; they will work much better than the ones I picked out originally.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Perhaps wait on the mirrors until you see everything come together? That’s one of the last things you’d need to do so no need to rush it! Something will speak to you once it starts coming together! That’s gunna be one hell of a classy bathroom, look forward to the finished product!
    Dottie 7B thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • vjs12
    5 years ago

Update?