SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zjc80

Floor plan help - master bedroom & bathroom doors too close?

zjc80
12 years ago

Hello all! Newbie here, and I need some input. My husband and I are reviewing the 1st draft of the floor plans for our new construction home. We deviated from the standard floor plan for our model by widening the smallish master bedroom his and hers closets by 2 feet, and going with a larger master bathroom shower and the corner tub that seems to come along with it.

We chose not to add a linen closet to the master bath (the original floor plan doesn't have one) because there's a nicely sized one in the hall bath, and doing so would take more space away from the master bedroom.

As a result of these changes, we lost the knee space and drawer in between the double sinks. More importantly, the master bathroom door had to be relocated. The problem is that the new location of the bathroom door is very close to the main doors of the bedroom. We would have to close one of the double doors to enter the bathroom! Our bedroom doors are always open in our current home.

The best solution I can think of is to go with a single door that swings open to the wall opposite the bathroom door. What do you think about replacing the double doors with a single one? Most new construction homes in my area have double doors on the master bedroom. I don't want to negatively affect resale value.

We could also keep the double doors, but have them swing out instead of in. Would that be totally strange or even feasible?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I've included a link to the builder's "custom" floor plan. Everything but BR #2 and the hall bath is larger on our specific plan (different elevation), but it'll give you a good idea.

Imagine the linen closet isn't there (just bedroom space), and the toilet/water closet is now across from the shower. We chose to move it b/c it cut into already tight closet space. We have 2 closets across from each other instead of one closet, as shown.

The vanity is now across from the tub, next to the toilet closet. The doorway had to be moved closer to the shower, which is why it's behind one of the double doors! BTW, the bathroom door swings open toward the toilet closet (fortunately that door isn't blocked also).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1397938}}

Comments (6)