SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Helping my parents w/ whole-house remodel; bathroom question

AJCN
6 years ago

My siblings and I are helping my parents plan and manage a whole-house remodel of their vacation home in the Rocky Mountains. I posted a question on the Remodeling page with 5 questions. One of the questions regards a bathroom, so I wanted to ask it here as well.

My Dad has chosen the contractor. I am going up there with one of my siblings in May to make selections, finalize details and get things ordered.

Master bathroom: We want to demo and re-build the shower and tub area. I asked the contractor what his preferred method is for waterproofing the shower and it’s the same-old-same-old water-in-water-out system of pre-slope, liner, mud, tile. I
quizzed him about the method and he gave all the right answers regarding
pre-slope, liner, flood test, etc. But I recently remodeled my own bathroom and we used the more modern systems such as Kerdi, Hydroban, etc. I quizzed him
about this, and he said he’s open to the idea (he’s young enough to learn!) but
hasn’t done it. So my question is, should I encourage this contractor to learn a new way and install it in my Dad’s house for the first time, or should I let him install the old water-in-water-out system of the olden days?

If I am determined to have the more modern system used, what is a good
way to convince/encourage a contractor to learn it and do it on this project and what are the risks/draw-backs of asking for this?

Thanks for reading this post and THANK YOU in advance for any
advice you have to offer!!

Comment (1)