SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Tell me about your most underrated roses!

SoFL Rose z10
6 years ago

I’m baffled by some roses that seem so popular, but really have performed abismaly for me. (I’m looking at you Mr. Lincoln) Yet so many good roses seem to go unrecognized. Tell me about your most underrated roses. Let’s give them the credit they are due! Mine are Sweet Drift, Wedding Bells, Bliss and Spirit Of Freedom (although I do admit the latter is now getting some love over at DA And in other places). Bordeaux is another. Tupelo honey, Summer Memories and heaven on earth are three Kordes roses that are also wonderful and barely mentioned.

What are your unsung hero’s?

Comments (42)

• User
    6 years ago

The Austin 'Scarborough Fair'... I wish I had 3 of them now... it even looks good without blooms... shapely, graceful, and totally healthy...

• boncrow66
    6 years ago

Eutin is my best rose and least talked about.

• Related Discussions

What is the Most Under-Rated Plant in your Garden?

Q

Comments (18)
    two crinums given to me as seeds several years ago. They are on alternating schedules and one always seems to have a stunning purple bloom on it. And weirdly (I did not expect this at all) white impatiens. I put a bunch in for the wedding last year figuring they wouldn't last long. But I found an apparently perfect spot for them. I've heard that with just the right conditions, they can be perennials down here. I think I may have found those conditions (bright, bright shade until late, late in the afternoon, when they get less than an hour of full sun. And I don't water them, ever.) Many that were in different parts of the yard have given up and died, or got leggy and got pulled. But these happy little mounds still look great nearly a year later.
    ...See More

One of the most underrated hostas I know is...

Q

Comments (25)
    Bernd - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on their similarities. :) My 'Frances Willamss' is young, yes, and was just emerging in the photo...but comparing photos of it and 'Twilight' there's a huge difference to me, not so much in the width of the margins but the color, form, texture, etc. 'Twilight' is of h. fortunei parentage and 'Frances Williams' is a sieboldiana. Maybe we're just looking at different types of subtle differences.
    ...See More

Tell me (again) about your most powerhouse Reds

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi, RED SUSPENDERS is a long time favorite, and a perfect example of the pinched crispate form. It doesn't grow on the best "real estate" here but still is a great performer. And you might consider a small flower - we don't always have to go with full flowered large blooms! John Kinnebrew Jr's LIL' RED WAGON is a small flower ( about 3.5") but this is a wonderful over all garden plant. It has high bud count and can easily have 8-10 blooms open on a given day. My overall favorite red for years has been BETTY FORD.
    ...See More

Tell me about your most continuous bloomer.

Q

Comments (33)
    What else can I say, you all are blessed! All the roses mentioned are barely blooming for me. Just been too hot. My climate stinks. Spring lasted for one week, followed by a 16F late freeze which killed everything to the ground except for the hardiest stuff (Kordesii blood) and then 95F to 100F weather came right after that along with midges. Then the Japanese beetles. I've had no roses this year from over 200 bushes. My Peppermint Pop is certainly not blooming at all, just barely hanging onto dear life. The only bloomer now is Carefree Beauty. Quadra which normally blooms a lot just had a spring flush and literally quit growing. It seems to be resuming now. Julia Child is not blooming either. Terrible season!
    ...See More
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Among my red hybrid teas my most dependable are the least mentioned. LIEBESZAUBER will be beginning its sixth season and doesn’t seem to be slowing down at all. It’s one of my best bloomers, and the blooms are large and sometimes very fragrant.

And FORGOTTEN DREAMS is the other one. I think I’ve had it since 2002. It’s usually one of my first roses to bloom. The blooms are a medium red and very fragrant. They’re both fairly blackspot resistant for me.

And my third one is ORCHID ROMANCE, a Floribunda, don’t see it mentioned much. Very healthy bush, good bloomer and wonderful fragrance.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    6 years ago

HB: can you please speak with your people up there so that we people down here can get OP. I would expect no less a rose to be named in memory of such a wonderful artist.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Oh I love that rose hallo, I love singles !! And agree that hard names just don't stick out enough to me. Maybe it's terrible but I don't even try to guess the pronunciation. I just glaze right by .

sara Ann I love the color of orchid romance!!

Sofl : I just added bliss , SoF , HoE to my garden!! So I am so glad you sung their praises! If I can find wedding bells I'd like that too.

My input is for fire opal and darlows enigma. I really don't know how to describe fire opals shape but it just grows and looks so beautiful. Darlows does not photograph well for me , the sun is always behind it and I never get a good picture but I love this rose too .

Both are incredible health wise too and fragrant!!

SoFL Rose z10 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • R pnwz8a
    6 years ago

I love my easy does it and cinco de mayo!!! i dont have pics yet but they r full of buds!!

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

LIlyfinch - wow - I love your Fire Opal! So unusual and so lovely!!!

Carol

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Easy does it is an exceptional Rose. Sometimes I wonder if it had a prettier name like Autumn Sunset or something like that, if it would be more popular. I think people associate ‘easy’ roses With boring blooms, but EDI is a remarkable rose in every way.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

That's a good point about names! I wonder if the name "Twice in a Blue Moon" sends a message that it is how often that it blooms?

But it's actually always blooming and the first and last to do so. But even if it didn't, the fragrance would be worth to me. I measured the blooms yesterday and they averaged at least five inches with clean foliage, no-spray, own-root.

I never hear about this rose, even from lavender lovers, and now I can't even find it own-root.

• Ken Wilkinson
    6 years ago

Most of my roses are very rarely talked about. I do grow a rose that I have carried with me since the early 1990's. A pink HT called Brinessa. I'm willing to bet I'm the only person growing this beauty here in the USA.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I grow ‘Joan Fontaine’, and I really love it! It’s got big petal packed blooms, and they look like DA blooms. They last longer, and do well in my heat. I just don’t hear about this rose very often, but I really enjoy mine! Lisa

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ken - I've seen Brinessa in rose books. Yours is fabulous!!! I love the look of it!! Gorgeous!!

Lisa - lovely!! What a nice collection of plants together!! :)

Carol

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    6 years ago

Bel'Aroma is hardly ever mentioned. I love the fragrance, the vase life and the strong growth habit of this rose.

Lemon Spice- Needs to be a Gamble award winner. Not too thorny, nice long stems, quick repeat, among the best scented roses I grow.

Typhoo Tea- Another powerfully fragrant rose that will knock your socks off. Bicolor, long stems, good repeat. Tall.

Lilyfinch- I agree with you on Darlows Enigma, great rose!

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Al - love your roses!! That's a cool shot of Typhoo Tea. :) Wish I could smell it! I also love your Bella'roma and Lemon Spice! Lovely!

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

Oh, I agree with Al about Lemon Spice! Absolutely wonderful here with a consistently wonderful fragrance from the very first bloom of a new plant to an old bloom ready to drop its petals. Always blooming and the five inch blooms can easily become seven in our climate.

Carol, I don't remember if you liked a "baby yellow" but maybe you will like the fragrance? It doesn't actually smell like lemon, thank goodness!

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

I love any type of yellow :) Thanks, Lavenderlace :)

Carol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

lilyfinch, I have been trying not to get Fire Opal, as I have NOWHERE to put it, but you may have just tipped me over the edge.

SoFL, I couldn't agree more about Mr Lincoln. Sure, the 3 or 4 blooms mine got a year, were wonderful (I used to cut them and carry it around with me), but a what a parsimonious and awkward (ugly, really) bush. And Summer Memories is a great rose here too. So vigorous and healthy, and flowers for at least 10 months of the year.

• DVS inFL (Zone 9a)
    5 years ago

My most underrated roses: JFK (just a massive continuous bloom plant, in its 2nd year, super healthy, fights BS very well), Heirloom, Double Delight (planted from body bag this February, constantly blooming in April and most of March; in a container so no BS issues (so far), Perfume Delight (super massive thick canes, dense cane growth but stingy on the blooms compared to DD).

Overrated: Fragrant Cloud. This plant is nothing more than a massive black spot magnet. The flowers are wonderful but the pain in the butt is the heavy maintenance required. One plant last year didn't make it to the end of June, bought 2 from a rose vendor that turned out to be BS magnets with weak growth and few blooms, bought one from Lowe's for a container (seemingly better than the other FC) that has more buds on it than the other 2. Climbing America...sickly growth, few blooms.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I just thought of another one. It’s not very scented, to my nose, anyway. The stems are rather short, but it’s a wonderful compact shrub that blooms a lot! The blooms are lovely and full. It’s CREAM ABUNDANCE. It’s a nice shrub in the border, and good for smaller vases. Cream Abundance has nice, shiny, and healthy foliage. Mine is just beginning to bloom now. Lisa

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    5 years ago

Now that's a beautiful rose!

• enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

David Austin 'Windermere' is almost always in bloom, has little to no disease and is very winter hardy. Smaller flowers than most DA's and moderate scent but flower production more than makes up for it.

Windermere via pinterest

Lily- I second 'Fire Opal'. Mine are in a shadier location but still flower really well. No disease but she seems a bit more tender for my z5b garden than some other Kordes. And 'Darlow's Enigma' has a wonderful scent that wafts. I finally killed mine though by one transplant too many. She is one I should replace since she smelled so wonderful and was a bee magnate.

Tequila Supreme, as a tiny band, flowered 3 times last summer. Pretty darker peach/pink blend and disease resistant. Also came through this tough winter really well, especially considering how tiny she was.

tequila supreme via roses inc, green country

'Clair Matin', a short climber and Kordes 'Innocencia' also flower almost non stop.

sharon

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Sharon - Wow!! There's something extra special about your Tequila Supreme!! Gorgeous!!

Lisa - I love your Cream Abundance!!!

Carol

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I’ve heard great things about ‘Clair Matin’, and seen some lovely photos. I wonder if it would stay a short climber here? I do like it.

I like Bel'Aroma! The edging on the yellow is lovely! Is Tequila Supreme very orange? It looks so pretty, but I would be afraid that it would be too orange for my garden. It’s a fantastic looking rose, though! Lisa

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Tequila Supreme is gorgeous. The colors are so vibrant!!

I have 3 Fire Opals. I just love them. They are my cheap but beautiful substitions for Belle Story lol.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sultry, do you think Fire Opal is anything like Belle Story? Belle Story is like my love that died and I cannot find a replacement. I've been looking for others similar to her. I dont usually even like singles or semi doubles, but there was something special about Belle Story. If Fire Opal resembles her in any way, I'm sold!

• J Sturg
    5 years ago

I second the vote for Cream Abundance. It is extremely prolific and beautiful with dark, shiny leaves. It does need to be dead-headed as it hangs on to its petals, but it puts out masses of blooms constantly. Mine is about 3x the size as it was in the photo below, taken last year after a very bad winter.

• Nola z5aWI
    5 years ago

Lavenderlace Heirloom Roses sells Twice in a Blue Moon.

• lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

Thistle, thank you SO much and that's where I got them to begin with. One of their employees said last year that they weren't growing it anymore and were phasing a lot of lavenders out.

But I did notice that they haven't put a notice on their site's page yet, like they did on lots of others, so hope springs eternal!

• Nola z5aWI
    5 years ago

Lavenderlace your welcome. :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

I think Fire Opal does look a little like Belle Story, Coloring and large girly semi double flowers. Mine don't get deep coral tones here they stay mostly in the pastel range. I got 3 on clearance for @ 3.00 each at Walmart last fall and bought them on impulse. They weren't even flowering. I am very happy with them. Clean foilage and they bloom constantly. They don't get huge so they are cute stuck in the front borders.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

can you send me a pic of your fire opal sultry?

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

My most underrated rose is Mollie, bred by a local fella in Eastern WA. He's a big Harley riding dude who often teaches classes at Northland Rosarium and is truly a nice guy who freely shares his vast knowledge with anyone who has questions. Mollie looks lit from within, and has touches of pink, yellow and orange, yet has a soft appearance.

• sharon2079
    5 years ago

I have a couple that are under rated. One is Medallion. I got my original in a body bag from KMart years ago. Of course at that time, I did not know that roses needed 6 to 8 hours of sunlight and that they should be on the East side getting morning sun. So what did I do, I planted him at my office on the west side of the building. I built a little retaining wall right up next to the building over part of the black asphalt parking and filled it with dirt.... yes a bad idea, but he doesn't seem to know it. He doesn't get sun til about 2 and when he gets it, he has to deal with the heat and reflection of afternoon sun off a white building. He is a TROOPER and puts out beautiful large blooms. Doesn't get black spot. Though I guess, I just learned he will never get to be a queen because he will never have a high center, but he will always have my heart for those huge buds and flowers..... my 2nd under rated would go to Regatta, because I have friends who shovel pruned theirs, but mine is putting out bloom after bloom..... The only thing about her is I wish I would have put her in a different spot, because she gets BIG and she has thorns.... lots of thorns, and she is right by a doorway.

• Nola z5aWI
    5 years ago

flowersaremusic, That is a beautiful rose! I went to Northland's website but they don't have it listed, any ideas where to purchase?

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

flowers, I love blooms that look lit from within.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

A question for those that grow Fire Opal, would it be happy in a pot?

• lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

I couldn't believe my eyes when I just received a notice that Heirloom has Blue Moon available today. Not TiaBM, but I've never tried Blue Moon so am thrilled.

I wonder if they read these sites? I did buy a few others and there was a gasp at the amount of the bill though!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Thank you, Trish. I'm thrilled that you still have roses. Last year about this time, you were preparing to say good bye to roses because of that awful virus. Don't ever forget the name of that problem solver you used. Some of the rest of us might need to know one day. I recall that I'd never heard of it before you used it.

Thistle Thrower, I would call Northland and ask. Carol at Northland may be able to get some directly from the breeder or tell you how to contact him. Everyone at Northland is knowledgable and helpful and the breeder is easy to talk to. When they only have a few of some varieties, they don't list them in their catalog or online. I think they only have Tracy Jo listed this year, another of his creations. The picture on their website doesn't do it justice.

• Nola z5aWI
    5 years ago
    • Thank you Flowersaremusic!
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

'Fabulous!' might not be for everybody, but in my garden it is an amazing rose, so much so that it surprises me that it doesn't have more popularity. 'Fabulous!' exploded out of the starting blocks like no other rose I have, including 'Iceberg' which is one of its parents. Transplanted the next year and harshly cut back in the process, it didn't miss a beat. This, it's third year, it is producing a number of candelabras of 30 to 40 buds. Flowers are pure white like its 'Iceberg' parent, and formed similarly to its 'Sexy Rexy' parent in the heat and somewhat between its parents in the early season. It was one of my few roses that bloomed straight through 100 degree heat. Foliage is glossy and although others have mentioned disease, I haven't seen any so far. The plant overall is bushy, no octopus limbs, although it is still a young plant. What it doesn't have is an abundance of fragrance. It does indeed have a fragrance, just not huge, about half that of 'Iceberg' and much more than 'Sexy Rexy'. Although I hate the exclamation mark in its name, 'Fabulous!' has lived up to its name in my garden.

Just starting this season, but look at the number of buds.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Titian, I do believe that fire opal would be happy in a pot as it's not overly huge.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations