SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

What is the Most Under-Rated Plant in your Garden?

What plant do you have in your garden or yard this is a great performer, but mostly unnoticed by the mainstream - or even by you?

Even though I have had it for several years, this past season I finally noticed what a terrific plant is Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii or Euphorbia splendens var. milii). In the past, it was just kind-of there, doing its thing, but I didn't have any appreciation. Finally I took notice - hey, this plant is great! Here is why I love it: 1) It can take full, full, FULL sun - unlike so many plants that are advertised as sun-loving, but the truth comes out in mid-summer. 2) It doesn't suffer one bit for lack of water. Water it when you feel like it - or not. It will look the same, either way! 3) It has constant blooms! The bright blooms are always there, adding color all of the time. Mine is a beautiful, rosy pink.

My front door faces east and I have two large planters on either side. Even though they are in shade by noon, for years now, nothing I have tried has been very successful. This year, I plan to sink smaller pots of Crown of Thorns into the planters for all-summer color without heat-stress. I think I am finally on to something - I hope!

What is a tried and true but sometimes unnoticed/ignored plant in your yard?

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica Nursery - Euphorbia Milii Cultivation

Comments (18)