Royal Watchers
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (109)
Related Discussions
Presidential NY date
Comments (90)Those belts are like Hillary and her headbands. The belts she adds to an outfit ruin the designer's work. The Obamas are wealthy, and she can afford to have a dress custom fitted so that she doesn't need to hold it in with a belt. Another belted cardigans from the European tour: A designer can whip up a cute little number with a properly fitted cardigan if so requested. It is not a miracle: No belt. No cardigan. Fabulous. The original Kai Miller couture emerald gown was pleated and flowing in front. (I think I can find the photo again somewhere.) She ruined the look adding the black belt. The couture version of the gown was altered to give Michelle a more modest neckline, but she could have requested other changes instead of trying to "fix" whatever it was she did not like about the final version, with a black belt holding in the pleats: That pinata tunic worn to Westminster Abby is the absolute worst. At least she didn't wear it with a floppy sun bonnet. Pairing it with an old tweed pair of pants from her lawyers days made it even worse. I'm going to take a wild guess here and guess that, that was made for her from the Anna Sui spring collection that I saw....See MoreYes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
Comments (40)I'd love to believe that these no-salt water softeners work as it is a chore to lug salt to the water softener but none of them have an understandable scientific basis with solid controlled experimental evidence to support it. While conventional water softeners work on a clearly understood and easily confirmed chemical process. When we move to our present home, it was clear our water had unacceptable levels of calcium in it. We're on a neighborhood well and well water in many regions has this problem. We have both a front loading washer as well as a continuous melting ice maker. Both had problems with our water immediately. Continuous melt ice makers don't tolerate scale at all. The deposits on the freezing plate interfere with the sheets sliding off and cause the unit to jam up. I was having to clean the freezing plate on ours monthly. Front load washers also have all sorts of problems with hard water. The soap forms scum deposits which quickly become smelly. I was running two packs of washing machine cleaner through ours every month to try to combat this. Plus I had the usual scale on the dishes and bath fixtures, plus the soap scum buildup in the showers. I installed a basic Whirlpool water softener from Lowes and this immediately solved all our problems. I clean the ice maker about once a year which was the same frequency I had done it in our previous house on city water. And occasionally I run a washer cycle with washing machine cleaner but no longer does our washer continuously get smelly. This is also a good place to point out that the science behind calcium removal using resins with salt or potassium salt is the same across all brands. I won't argue that $3,000 water softeners have a lot of extra features that you will not find in a $400 Whirlpool one. BUT the way the remove calcium is exactly the same. They ALL use an ion exchange resin that substitutes sodium for the calcium. Periodically the resin is flushed with super saturated salt water to unbind the calcium, dispose of it, and replace it with more sodium for a new cycle. Note, it is a myth that water softeners add salt to your water, they add sodium, not salt. For those that are concerned with sodium intake, for a little more money, potassium chloride can be used instead of regular salt in just about any resin based water softener. As a plus with potassium, those with gray water systems can have a water softener and still use the waste water on plants and the lawn....See MoreAny Anglophiles out there?
Comments (57)My knowledge of Britain is NOT from reading books or watching TV, although I do both. I have visited there many, many times over the past 34 years, my daughter spent a year there in a girl's boarding school, my son spent his spring trimester of his boarding school senior year, doing an internship there at Lloyds. And, as I said, my late husband has many English relatives, with whom I stay in contact with. My knowledge is far from 2nd hand or from media. Obviously, we move in different circles when in Britain, but yours is not more "correct" than mine is. I am well aware that the world of Miss Marple and Mapp and Lucia was gone after WWII. Even though the class system is still alive and well in parts of Britain, there are now grandchildren of people who lived in the East End in squalor and may have even been Cockney, who are now buying houses in English villages that cost between 400,000-700,000 pounds. There appears to be only a very small republican movement in Britain today - most people are quite happy having a monarch and while some might like to see the Royal Family a bit smaller (when it comes to giving them allowances), they still want them to open their local schools, town halls, etc. As I said, my late husband's relatives have met all the Royal family many, many times. No, not at a garden party along with thousands of others, but at small, private social events in private homes. One has traveled with some on business trips to the US and other parts of the world, in his role as a company chairman. And two are very close friends - in one another's weddings, godparents to one another's children. So, you have your friends, and I have my friends and family, and clearly they are as different as we are on GW. That does not make you "right" and me a dreamer, longing for a lost Empire....See MoreDiet "tricks?"
Comments (50)Hey Thanks Everyone! Ali, as far as SO goes, he doesn't actively discourage me. He actually wants me to lose weight. He really just doesn't agree with how i do it I think. He says he doesn't like me to be deprived of anything. So if i am low carbing, he will break his roll in half and put it on my plate, or give me some of his fries......so irritating. Or bring home a brownie. He tells me "Eat what you want,just stop eating so much." Then he will turn around and say, "If you're hungry, you need to eat." Ugh. Keep in mind this is a man who cares NOTHING about food or being hungry and will wait until I either shove it in front of him or come close to passing out to feed himself. Last time I told him, "You don't tell me how to diet, and I won't tell you how to quit smoking like i know anything about it....OKAY?!?!?!!" But, yeah, he knows about my walking and other exercise. I just don't mention anything about the food. He will figure it out eventually. Mama, I saw that too. But I do not really agree with her "methods" either. When she was on the Biggest Loser, they worked out 8 or more hours a day and gave them diet pills to aid weight loss. Not to mention her affinity for screaming at people and calling it "motivation." If she tried that brand of motivation with me, it might be dangerous for her feelings. Not to get personal with it, but i find her overly masculine manner and condescending personality off putting. Maybe that's why i don't put much stock in what she says. Besides, I am really not sure I am doing "keto" specifically. I don't really follow plans like that. But I could be and just don't know it. :) biondanonima,I do exercise for the other health benefits really. Any weight loss resulting from it would be a bonus. Otherwise, i work a 12 hour night shift desk job, then go home and sleep. If I don't purposely get up and walk, my fitbit registers less than 2000 steps a day. A little more if I am home. The nurse we have on staff at my job advised me to get up and move a lot more. So I do. I get what you are saying though. The doctor I went to said that when low carbing, exercise, especially in women, doesn't really do much for weight loss, but is good for maintaining any progress and is important for overall wellness. I feel that you are right about calories though. I mean as I said, when i did this diet the first time i didn't worry about calories at all and the weight fell off. I think i might have been overthinking that aspect of things. I actually went digging and found my old food journals from that time. I did find that eating WHATEVER low carb foods i wanted, and it seems, in any amount that i wanted did appear to work. One day: (keep in mind i work 5pm-5am) 6 pm- 6 devilled eggs (made with mayo, bacon and cayenne pepper) 11 pm- Atkins shake (dark chocolate royale), Jif to go cup, 1 string cheese 5:30 am- 2 scrambled eggs with bell pepper, green onion, and cheese Another: 5:30pm- Salad with lettuce,tomato, cucumber, olives,avocado, 1 hard boiled egg pepperoni, cheese and Olive garden dressing 12 am- same as above(no egg) 3 am-Atkins shake 6 am- 2 slices bacon, 1 sausage patty, 1 fried egg Last one I promise: 5:30pm- Rotisserie chicken breast, small can green beans with lotsa buttah 9pm- Chicken broth (1-1/2 cups about) 12 am- cucumber slices dipped in ranch (homemade and FULL FAT BABY) 2 am-Atkins frozen meal, sugar free jello (black cherry) 6 am- 1 scrambled egg with cheese According to my journal, or as i call it "Amylou's BIG FAT diet book," I lost 3 pounds that week.....interesting. I don't remember being QUITE as hungry as I am now though....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESYou Can Grow Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Wedding Flowers
The blooms and branches selected to decorate St. George’s Chapel at the royal event are English garden favorites
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
MOST POPULARTrend Watch: 13 Kitchen Looks Expected to Be Big in 2015
3 designers share their thoughts on what looks, finishes and design elements will be on trend in the year ahead
Full Story
NEW THIS WEEK5 Living Rooms Designed for Conversation
Take cues from these furniture arrangements that put the focus on people rather than on a TV screen
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSTake a Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Netflix’s ‘Grace and Frankie’
Set decorator Beauchamp Fontaine explains the design decisions behind the home sets featured in the new Netflix series
Full Story
blfenton