SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwnorth

New Kitchen Floor

M Giles
6 years ago

I posted in another thread about the dilemma we were facing with our kitchen floor. We are renovating our 30 year old kitchen which involves changing the layout and will result in some bare patches in the floor where a breakfast bar and closet door are being removed. Our initial plan was to not replace the floor so I was at first at a loss on the best way to address the problem. After further reflection we have decided to bite the bullet and replace the floor. The floor is currently a 12 x 12 porcelain/ceramic tile in white with a light grey veining and grey grout. It extends all the way from the kitchen at the back of the house, down the hall, to the front entry (as well as the powder and laundry rooms). Off this space we have a living room, dining room, and family room, all with the same wood flooring in a red toned oak parquette (this same wood tone is also on the stairs, the bathroom cabinets, and the current kitchen cabinets). My preference is to replace the floor with tile once again (the kitchen has sliding patio doors to a deck with pool and with our cold snowy northern winters tile is the most practical). I am looking for suggestions as to the design and colour of the tile. My preference is for a large format 24 x 24 or 12 x 24 dark grey stone look porcelain tile like this:

Old North Modern · More Info

2014 DC Design House - Kitchen · More Info

On the other hand, our current light floor, while having the tendency to show dirt easily, really brightens up the space, so I'm debating a light grey or cream as well.

White and Walnut · More Info

Villandry Circle · More Info

The new cabinets will be a horizontal grain walnut on the bottom with white recessed panel on top similar to this:

with a dark grey/black counter, possibly soapstone:

Walnut & White · More Info

Loft · More Info

a 3D marble look tile backsplash

and brass/gold hardware

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)