SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

My 2018 Purple Martin saga begins soon

caroline94535
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My other, non-sewing, passion is my Purple Martin colony. They are the largest members of the American swallows family. They breed and live in North America and migrate to and from Brazil for the winter. They eat only flying insects.

I’m getting 16 gourds prepped and hung on the rack for the returning Purple Martins. I try to have all the gourds (cleaned and stored last fall ) hung and ready by April 15.

With DH’s help, I got 10 up yesterday. I will finish the last six today. I do have a few modified natural gourds but this year I’m using all man made “Super Gourds” and “PMCA Exculder Gourds.”

The Martins normally return around April 23. In past years they’ve arrived as early as April 14, or as late as May 10. April 15 is my “no later than” goal. This will be my 15th year to host them.

Apirl 15 , even when there is still snow on the ground, up they go! I have white duct tape over the entries to keep out any other curious birds until my PM colony returns. Once I hear their distinctive call I dash out, lower the rack with the winch at the bottom of the pole, zip off the duct tape, and raise it all back up...usually with “my” birds circling my head the entire time. It only takes a few minutes.

It’s a glorious day when the return.

No green grass, no green deciduous trees, no spring flowers, but Spring is winging this way. I did see a rather scraggly Robin at the edges of the snow near my tomato bed . I tossed him some raisins.

Why are my photos always squashed? You’ll have to click or tap on it see it properly.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County