SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

FIVE Purple Martin eggs! 1 photo

caroline94535
15 years ago

When I checked the gourds Saturday, I didn't see any eggs. I didn't feel around under the few leaves, I just peeked in the entry hole.

When I checked Sunday I saw what I thought was the "first" egg. I was thrilled. Again, I didn't feel in the material around the egg. I just looked.

I checked again Tuesday, knowing there'd be three eggs - wrong! Eve had covered the nestcup with green leaves. I moved the leaves aside and there were FOUR beautiful eggs. There had to have been two eggs in the nest on Sunday (the first laid Saturday); obviously, one had been hidden.

My nest check report for today, Wed., June 25, shows FIVE beautiful eggs.

Counting forward from the third egg, I think can expect hatching to begin around July 12. I'll recount the days once she's finished laying, that will give me a better idea of incubation time.

Either way, mid-July, will be filled with hatching chicks...if all goes well. Second week in August will be fledging.

So joining Hercules, you see Hermione, Hamish, Hoshiko, and Harley. LOL You can see the small mud dam Eve's made in the lower left of the photo. They sometimes add mud dams to block the veiw of the nest from the entry hole. Owls and hawks have a harder time seeing the "goodies" inside.

Comments (10)