SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2018, Week 3, Is Winter Over Yet?

Well, we've done it. We've made it through two really odd weeks of weather and made it to mid-April. What does that mean? Who even knows? To recap the last two weeks of April gardening weather in Oklahoma, we've experienced freezing weather, wind, fire, frosts, a tornado or two, rain, hail, drought, sleet, wind, wildfire, heat with temperatures over 100 degrees in some counties, cold with temperatures as low as the teens in some counties, snow, wind, wildfire, wind, dust, wildfire, continuing drought in the west, wind, smoke, wind, wildfire, cold, hot, cold, hot, and then even cold and hot all in the same day sometimes. Did I miss anything? Did anyone flood and I missed that? Was there a plague of locusts or frogs somewhere that I'm not even aware of? Oh, and we've had earthquakes, though we cannot actually blame them on the weather. The quakes sure add just more oddity to an already odd month.

This morning I will uncover the garden for, hopefully, the next to the last time, so the plants can enjoy today's sunshine and 60-degree weather and then late this afternoon I'll cover up the plants one more time for what might be the very last time this Spring. It is Spring, right? Stuck somewhere in the middle between the wintery weather days and the summery hot days, there must be a little Spring hiding in there somewhere?

There isn't much actual gardening to talk about because who's actually been able to squeeze in any real gardening activity lately? It is very frustrating, but I remain grateful that none of us here are buried under tons of late snow or watching a wildfire burn up our property.

I sat in a chair in my garden yesterday morning as the wind gusted as high as 45 mph and wondered when the garden ever will catch up and look normal. I wanted to do some sort of work, but what can you do in wind like that? So, I sat there a while and watched the wind whipping the trees and plants around like crazy, and then went indoors and got busy with things that I could do, though none of them involved gardening. I know I'm probably further ahead than everyone else due to my extreme southern location and yet my garden still looks like it is 4-6 weeks behind normal. There's so little in bloom that it is just pathetic.

Of the 14 raised beds in the garden, only 7 are even planted, and some of those just partially planted. Usually by now I'd be tucking seeds or plants into the last couple of raised beds in the front garden, declaring the front garden fully 'done', and then would be turning my attention to the back garden where I tend to plant the real heat lovers like okra, melons, watermelons, Armenian cucumbers, winter squash and southern peas. This year I don't expect to finish the front garden until early May or even later, and then I'll start in on the back garden by mid-May, more or less.

We'd normally have poppies and larkspur in bloom in great profusion in the front garden by now. This year? Nada, zero, zilch. The handful of flowers in bloom in the front garden are mostly cool-season annuals---pansies and violas I planted maybe six weeks ago, a few Iris, and a couple of perennials---Homestead Purple Verbena and two autumn sage plants. At the other end of the garden, some of the comfrey is blooming. That's it. Usually by now we'd have the poppies and larkspur in glorious bloom, surrounded by a few early marigolds,petunias, zinnias, chamomile, lemon balm, balsam, tansy, etc. and there would be fennel and dill everywhere, though not quite in bloom yet. Now? I haven't seen any dill popping up anyplace in the garden but I did find the first fennel plant yesterday---popping up in the bermuda grass outside the garden gate. I need to dig it up and move it into the garden. I might actually have to sow fennel and dill seeds this year, and they're obviously going to be really late.

The astonishing lack of blossoms in the garden (or even plants that eventually will produce blossoms) is stunning, and is mirrored in the pastures where very little is in bloom---some wild onions and wild garlic, a few brave Indian Paintbrush that decided to go ahead and bloom when we hit 87 degrees on Friday, a tiny handful of tiny bluebonnets (maybe 1/40th of what we usually have by now) and the hated pink evening primroses that invade everything everywhere. The wildflowers are so far behind this year, and if we didn't have a lot of holly shrubs in bloom, I'm not sure what the bees would be surviving on at this point because all our blooming trees have finished blooming, except for the roughleaf dogwoods which are always very late.

The hummingbirds check the garden daily for flowers but are mostly relying on the hummingbird feeders at this point because that's all we've got. There are a couple of flower buds about to blossom on the coral honeysuckle, so at least the hummers then will have those.

The cool-season veggies look pretty good most days, and the tomato plants are happy overall. I've got 24 tomato plants in the ground, I think, all with cages wrapped in plastic to protect them from the wind. The plastic was a very late addition last week because I didn't like the idea of 40+ mph winds whipping the plants around, and I'm not sorry I did it, although the time spent wrapping the cages was tedious and there were other things I'd much rather have been doing. Seven tomato plants have fruit, and the Cherokee Purple and SunGolds have their first early fruit approaching mature size now, though they still could remain green forever and forever. At least we have the fruit though. I'm going to transplant the first pepper plants into the ground this week, and they may get plastic-wrapped cages too, which is something I've never done for peppers before. In this wind-whipped month, it just seems prudent to do it.

The calendar may say April 15th, but in my garden it looks more like mid-March or, in parts of it, even early March. I donl't know when it will finally begin to look more normal, but I'm thinking it won't happen anytime soon. Oh, and there's dandelions blooming in the pastures! I was so happy to see their cheerful yellow flowers popping up late in the week---the bees really need them this year more than ever before. That's it from here, where we only dropped down to 34 degrees instead of the forecast 32, but you know that I am not complaining! I guess now I'll head out to uncover the plants yet again. I never once had to cover them in March, but have made up for that in April.

Happy Gardening everyone...if you're able to actually do any gardening today or this week.

Dawn

Comments (108)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus