SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindavarga20

Want to avoid attracting rats this year

lindavarga20
6 years ago

I had a lovely garden in 2016 but rats ate my corn and watermelons. I skipped last year and am ready to garden again this year. The first year I planted a ton of different things to see what would work and what I would like. I'm whittling down the list of vegetables to ones I had good success with, tomatoes, beans and peas, but I found an unopened package of Sugar Baby Watermelon seeds. I hate to throw them out and I absolutely LOVE Watermelon but I'm afraid of having rats again. I've read I can deter rabbits with Marigold and I'm wondering if there is a way I can avoid attracting rats? We got them in the house and I really don't want to have another problem. Is there a way to avoid attracting them? Or should I avoid the Watermelons altogether? I never had much luck with the Watermelons maybe because I grew them in a shallow fabric growing bed I got at the dollar store on my deck. I can't dig in our yard because we have a lot of clay but I had good success with hanging pots. Would it matter if the melons hung from a pot on the fence or would that attract rats no matter where it is? They didn't bother the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans or peas.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!