SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Rats

Marie Tulin
7 years ago

This is an unpleasant topic. I'm living the unpleasant experience. There were major excavations at both ends of the street and now we have rats. Other neighbors have had sightings (two had bird feeders) but we have them....apparently many. The town sent their 'rat consultant' out (not on staff, on retainer I suppose) and all those holes in the ground weren't from this year's bumper population of chipmunks. they are rat holes. I 've developed some good skills in rat hole detection.

We have a huge clean up ahead if we want to get rid of them....or at least control them. this spring the usual vagaries of older age put a big dent in our ability to get debris out of the yard and to the dump. And: that's what's got to happen: rake up debris, especially weeds and rotting wood; get a 'real' rodent proof composter , and determine where the rats are most active and well....deal with them. And keep doing this. Having a neat yard has never been a priority. Now neat edges, at the least, are.

Easy to feel embarrassed about having rats. Because, it is true that my garden has become a mess,and because they are dirty creatures. Who remembers when your kids first came home with their first case of head lice? No matter that it was epidemic at your school somehow it reflected on one's standards of cleanliness.

Anyone else dealing with or dealt with rats in the garden and rethinking one's 'gardening style.'? The 'consultant' is coming back tomorrow to check on our weeding and debris disposal progress. I told him I wanted to know if we're close to the standard we need meet for encouraging them to move elsewhere. And on the other hand, reassure us that we're not doing more than we need to be doing. I mean, who wants to work at filling rat holds when you could be hanging around with a glass of iced tea.

Marie

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022