SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorado97103

Advice on Wood Stair Treads and Pets

JQS
6 years ago

Hello,

We are building a custom home and we have one staircase to a finished basement with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, etc. They are being planned as a floating U-shaped staircase with a landing in the middle.

My builder will likely use some glue-lam 3"+ thick wood tread on them which I think will achieve the look we like and to pass code by reducing the vertical gap between the treads.

My question: We have solid select hickory 4" wide floors going in on the upper level and the landing of the staircase. We have a 65lb. Goldendoodle that currently uses a carpeted staircase and she has no issues. I think we can make the new staircase treads out of any wood species we'd like, but I'm concerned that the new stairs will quickly get scratched up by my dogs nails - which we do clip every couple months. Is there a wood or construction that is better for pets on wood stair treads?

I've even considered doing a laminate board on the top of the the tread to ensure durability but nobody in my circle is happy about that idea! I have been to a house that used a more rustic tread with lots of thick grain that seems like a decent solution.

Anybody have any advice on choosing a wood tread that's best for pets?

Thank you! Jonah

Comments (16)