SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kappocheno

Insulating 2nd story walls on an 80's home...

Bree D
6 years ago

So, we've remodeled the house twice now (thanks tax day flooding and Hurricane Harvey!) and haven't really delved into the walls on the second floor of the house. We've redone the entire 1st floor to allow for a more energy efficient lifestyle (it's working...) but the second floor still seems to be the sore spot. we've got about 3100 sq ft, 3 bedrooms up and a massive game room along with a full bath. My kids' room is the hottest room in the house - to which we've gone to great lengths to correct (darker paint, zoned system, extra ductwork, upgrading furnace and a/c..) but I feel like the insulation factor is still an issue. In the older days, I understand they didn't insulate interior walls, but I swear - what they did use is pretty much useless in the great summers of SE Texas!! :( That being said, should we invest in blown in insulation in the attic? Radiant barrier? Add insulation to the walls, re-insulate? I really don't want to rip out the drywall at any cost.... I'm over all this drywalling to save a lifetime!!

Thoughts???

Comments (5)