SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracamib

Does Gritty 1:1:1 mix work for a Container Rose Bush?

TraCami B
6 years ago

Has anyone had success with growing roses in Al's Gritty Mix 1:1:1 OR the 5-1-1 mix? I have searched high and low for this answer but have found no information on it so I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm looking into growing David Austin roses in containers on a permanent basis. I'm in Zone 9 with partial shade. The summers here in Florida are brutally hot and humid. I need a medium that will drain really well but also not something where I have to water several times a day.

I've had so many issues with fungus gnats and poor soil drainage with other plants I've tried to grow in regular potting soil over the years. I gave up. Now I'm feeling a bit ambitious again and that was when I ran across Al's gritty mix. I think there's hope.

This will be the first time I'm going to attempt at growing roses. I'm past the season to grow an Own Root Rose so I'm going to order a 2-Quart potted Princess Alexandra of Kent rose. However, I've hit a dead end as to what type of soil to use.

Any and all suggestions, pointers, tips are welcome. If this question was already answered I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

Comments (13)