SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starrprop

Experimenting with 1-1-1 gritty

I'm new to citrus, only five months in. I read here every spare moment I can grab trying to get a grip. I am an organic raised bed veggie person. Never messed with anything in containers. So you can imagine all the mistakes I made. Luckily I discovered that my "magic homemade compost" was turning into a nightmare for the citrus trees I had acquired very quickly before any serious damage occurred. After finding this forum and much researching through many years of discussions I decided to go with the gritty mix. I didn't have any problems finding the ingredients and I sifted out everything under 1/8. I knew I was pushing my luck doing all this bare rooting and repotting in July but was more afraid of root rot. Right after our upper 90's heat wave we had a major cool down so I took the plunge. It was nerve racking to say the least. I couldn't sleep and was out in the yard every hour on the hour all night with a flashlight. After a few days went by and nothing fell over dead I started relaxing a little bit. Then little problems here and there started cropping up. There for a while I decided that I hate this gritty mix and I really regretted it. I just kept coming here and reading sometimes 12 hours a day or more. I finally came to the conclusion that I was way over watering and under fertilizing. I did not like the dowel method at all but kept at it. Now here it is October and I feel like I'm starting to get a grip on this thing. I am really starting to like the gritty mix (a lot). The one thing I don't like about it is when I stick the dowel all the way to the bottom for a few minutes and then pull it out, the bottom half of the pot has plenty of moisture but the top half is pretty much on it's way to being dry. I don't want my little roots near the top to dry out but I don't want to over water either.

On the 20th of September I received a 4-5 year old cara cara. It arrived in very good condition and appeared to be a very healthy tree. The next day I bare rooted it and put it in gritty mix but this time I changed it up a little bit. The bottom half of the pot I stuck with the original recipe. Then I only did about an inch at a time eliminating more and more of the pine bark as I went up substituting more grainy grit. By the time I got to the last two inches I did about half and half of the grit and (napa floor dry) slightly more grit. Now today I stuck my dowel in it and it was way more uniform in moisture. Also today I noticed the very beginnings of new growth on the tree.

You guys are the experts, do you see any problem with what I did? I could change it If it is going to start causing problems.

I like the look without the bark

A closer up of the top two inches.

There is the dowel after pulling it out. The moisture is a lot more even from top to bottom this way. I had read several times that it was nearly impossible to overwater in gritty but I now know better. I was watering every day afraid it was drying out because the mix felt so dry when I would grab a handful of it. Now using the dowel method I am only watering every four to five days. All my trees are doing so much better now. My anxiety level has went back down. I also read the medium should be consistent but I really wanted to experiment and hopefully rid myself of that doubt of rather to water or not when the bottom half is moist but the top half isn't so moist. Also while I'm at it I would like to thank all of you for such a wonderful, very well managed website. I have learned so much because of you and would have lost everything without you.

Comments (18)