SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2manydiversions

The Holey Grail of Bread, thank you ann_t!

2ManyDiversions
6 years ago

Photos for uploading · More Info

ann_t, you’ve been incredibly patient, teaching me – and others, to make artisan dough, pizza on the grill, bread baking on the grill, and grilling tips for other foods, as well as answering my many questions and offering wonderful tips – thank you! I’ve come a long way with your tutelage and excellent advice…

For artisan bread makers, the ‘holey’ grail are those huge cavernous holes in the crumb that ann_t is so amazingly and consistently successful with. Ok, some might argue it’s the unique slash marks, or the crunch of the crust, while ‘purists’ would suggest it’s the flavor… which of course, is what truly counts, but I think it’s all of those.

Somehow, by pure quirk of fate and happenstance, I managed to succeed in the much sought-after huge holes yesterday! I had ann-t’s high-hydration pizza/artisan dough (which I encourage anyone interested in Artisan bread-making to try) in the fridge but other meals planned, so decided to make a small batard, baking it on the grill (my first bread-grilling effort). After a nice 2nd rise with lovely air pockets I was preparing to take the bread to the grill and a pounding on the front door somehow caused me to roll the bread on it’s top, deflating the air pockets and my confidence. It was the ‘fill dirt guy’ for our backyard, so I had no choice but to transfer the dough hurriedly onto the grill, and tromp about the yard, sneaking peeks at the timer with anxious glances.

Long story short (ha!), the batard resembled a curved baked potato. I was deflated, as I knew my bread surely was. 2 hours later and a single slice with a sharp knife I found myself doing the Dance of Happiness, shouting praises to the bread gods, our grill, fate, the fill dirt guy, and ann_t! … Deep chasms! Airy voids! Crumb craters!

How? I’ll never know, but I’ve scheduled the fill dirt guy to drop by weekly.

Photos for uploading · More Info

Thank you, ann_t : )

Do you have the secret to Holey Bread?

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!