SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Looking for a good, healthy climber that will bloom

SoFL Rose z10
6 years ago

Hello all!

I have had trouble with climbers. I’ve tried pleanty of climbers that were supposed to be good only to have them either not grow, or grow like gangbusters but not bloom. For example:

Eden: huge healthy plant, got about 6 blooms this spring, no repeat.

Florentina: huge and healthy, got about 5 blooms last spring, one so far this spring (btw my “spring” starts around first week of February).

Sombreuil: has stayed the same exact size of a band for over a year. No winter or frost here, just refuses to grow.

Same goes for the following ‘climbers’: aloha, jasmina, kiss me Kate, zepherine D, Nahema, collette. All of these have been growing for 2-3 years and are just tiny twigs not 2 feet tall. Nahema is a bit bigger, but not vigorous per say.

Papi Delbard and was another non blooming monster. I cut it back hard to try and get some bloom and it didn’t recover.

shropshire lad, wedgewood, St Swithun, none grew to be climbers and eventually died.

The only climbers I have had success with are Prosperity and Spirit of Freedom. Teasing a Georgia has also been good, but not a lot of bloom. I recently planted crepsicle and so far it seems promising.

I have a new arbor with space for 2 climbers I already have 4 spirit of freedom and 2 teasing Georgia so I wanted something new there.

I like old fashioned full blooms and soft colors but I will do deep pink. no red or purple but open to other colors.

I just want health, vigor and blooms. Am I asking for too much?

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!