SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donaruth45

My sad tree stories & diseased? roots left behind

Dona Goodwin (Houston TX Z9)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The photo is of my home when I bought it in 2008. After spending thousands on maintenance and finally felling, there is not a tree left in the front yard. The roots from the two 20-inch diameter Bald Cypress trees broke Harold-Next-Door's sewer line for the third time, was raising my driveway in several places, snaking along my foundation and headed for Harold's foundation. There were dozens of knees scattered throughout both our yards. A certified arborist came and advised cutting them down as the only possible solution to avoid further damage. Severing the roots or building a root barrier was not helpful. I was surprised to see one of them showed soft fungus sawdust looking stuff in the trunk burl? knee? - a very large - say 18" x 22" bump that formed part of the trunk. (last photo)

The Water Oak and the two Sweetgum trees kept dropping fully leaved healthy looking branches - one as large as 6" diameter - even after I had them professionally trimmed and cleaned up several times. When they were felled at various times over the past five of my nine years of ownership, I saw the same sawdusty fungus looking stuff.

A giant Red Oak in the back yard was the first to be felled, after trimming several times did not stop the decline. Photo shows the extent of its rotten inside. Smelled awful. Mushrooms still grow that are disgusting and become infested with maggots. Hot water with Dawn detergent is lessening the problem a little.

So now I want to plant a few trees in the front. Perhaps a small Magnolia, or small Maple, perhaps a Redbud, or a few Crape Myrtles. Even though the dogwood is not recommended for Zone 9, we have vast numbers of Red Dogwood in the surrounding neighborhoods and one next door.

All six of the stumps have been ground down - only one Sweetgum root is showing suckers and I will drill and pour salted boiling water on that root or have it dug up - and the hatcheted away Bald Cypress roots and knees have stopped growing. Haven't they????

So what is the danger / likelihood of newly planted trees picking up the fungus rot whatever it was from the roots of the old front yard trees? Or from the soil? My neighbors still have all their trees and they seem healthy, so what could have caused my trees such a plague?

Comments (12)