SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorjonl

Will a shoot from a removed tree roots be a good tree?

Last year I had to cut down a couple cottonwood trees that were dying. For years they were abused by the power company which caused the trunks to have hollow spots. Here is a photo of before and after.

I have been sad since then because my back yard has turned from a cool and enjoyable place to a desolate place. What makes it worse is I want to remove the Box Elder tree that is left. That tree was also abused by the power company and I hate the Box Elder bugs that it brings. I haven't removed it yet because it is the only thing providing any shade in my back yard and provides privacy from my neighbor behind me.

When they cut down the tree they didn't poison the roots because we believe that my neighbors tree is actually another trunk of the same tree. So now I am getting a ton of shoots coming up and one of them has actually came up in a good spot to replace the Box Elder tree. It is growing fast, in a few months it is 4 feet tall and half inch thick.

Here is a location picture of it:

One major concern is it isn't growing up straight, it is leaning heavily:

I was thinking of staking it to straighten it and letting it grow out. My primary question is will a shoot of a removed tree grow well or is it doomed to be a faulty tree?

This tree would not be a permanent tree, I am actually planting some Oak trees for the future but those are going to take many years to provide any shade and I am desperate for some shade.

Comments (5)