SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

Two sad stories in real life

mommabird
11 years ago

I've heard two heartbreaking stories of disorganization getting away from friends in the past few weeks.

1. A woman I've known about 10 years, the nicest, sweetest, most helpful person, always well groomed and very competient. She and her husband bought a new house about 6 or 7 years ago, and she has been telling me they are "working on the old house, getting it fixed up to sell" all those years. Her husband died suddenly recently. I found out that the reason they had two houses/mortgages is they are both hoarders and when one house got too full to live in, they bought the second. It is now almost too full to live in. This just breaks my heart. He was such a nice man, and now she has this heartbreaking mess in TWO houses to deal with after his unexpected death.

2. A friend confided in me she wants to leave her husband. They are also both hoarders. She said the mess is the biggest thing that keeps her there. Every time she starts sorting her stuff to take and leave, he burries it again under his stuff. I have been in their house and it is floor-to-ceiling hoarding in every room. So she is tied in to an unhappy relationship by STUFF.

Both of these stories have motivated me to attack my house with new gusto. I had done the major clean sweep about a year ago, but clutter is creeping back in. I've taken a vanload to the dump, two more vanloads to Goodwill and am working still.

I hope you can find similar inspiration in these stories.

Comments (14)