SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

sad rose story turns HAPPY!

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

The picture below is from several years ago, of our ancient (we think 80-90 years at least) Cecile Brunner. I have no idea if it is the bush or the spray version, but it was big - the stone wall pillar in the pic is about 3 1/2 feet tall.

Fast forward - over the past 3 years or so large portions of this rose suddenly died. We investigated (crawling under it to get to the base was a chore), and found that the base of it was covered in horrid large crown galls. My DH took off about 12 of them, then a few weeks later I tried and got another 10 or so. We left it alone to see what happened, and it lasted another three years, but this year half of it died, and I decided that I had to get out of denial and get rid of it. So, today my DH cut it, and took it to the dump (it took up, even cut into little pieces, the entire back of his pickup truck). He left the base to dig up tomorrow.

When he told me today was the day, I took the only cutting I could find with green leaves on it - we had some very cold weather lately, and all of the leaves on most of my roses are dead - I realize this has nothing to do with crown gall, but I needed green leaves on a cutting to try and root it. I am hoping to be able to root it, because this rose was lovely, and lived so long, and was so huge, and bloomed a lot, and I am hoping it is one of those better really old cultivars which need to be saved. Anyway, the cutting is now in a pot inside of an upside down fish tank on our glassed in back porch.

I was very sad to lose this rose, which we think was planted by my DH's great grandfather sometime prior to WWI. The happy news was that my DH called me over from where I was working in the garden (cutting off the old leaves from hellebores - mine are all in full bloom, and I finally got around to doing that). The old CB was growing next to an old wall which it had flopped over. When my DH was cutting the rose down, he discovered that, eight feet away from the base of it, on the other side of the wall, it had tip rooted and there was a new plant! I am SO happy - now I have what looks like a two year old rose at least! I pruned it a bit and cut off the old cane which was still attached from the parent bush and fed it and mulched it.

We will have to see if we need to move it at some point, but with our drought I am not moving anything right now, so it can stay where it is.

So, is there anything else I need to do to the new rose? Also, after my DH digs up the roots of the old rose, I am planning on flooding the area with a dilute bleach dredge, and then flooding it with water, adding new dirt and then leaving it for at least a year before I plant another rose there.

I am going to post pics of the base of the old rose, and the new rose (proud parent!) in subsequent posts.

Jackie

Comments (8)