SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glonear

I Messed Up With Adult Step-Son & Family

Needs To Know
6 years ago

My husband and I just married last summer after being together for three years. Our relationship has been wonderful and STILL IS wonderful, imo, except for mistakes that I've made with his adult son and DIL. I would be very interested in getting feedback from both adult step children and other step parents (If you could try to be gentle/kind to me .. this is really all new to me .. trying to navigate and adjusting to be a step parent/grandparent role.)
My new husband divorced his wife 25 years ago. They had the one child, whom is a successful doctor, is married, has a couple of kids and lives a couple of hours away from us. I am a widow. I had been married 34 years to my late husband. My late husband and I had two children who are now both adults. My children both live locally.
The issue? When we were planning our wedding last summer, we had to go back to the drawing board a couple of different times, because what we wanted/needed to schedule did not fit into his son & family schedule. Finally, husband said .. we are deciding and it is going to be THIS day. He, I think nervously, went back to his son and DIL and told him the new date and that this was going to be it. They accepted it, they had to. But .. husband's son went on to tell him that there was a time that we couldn't watch the kids when they needed us to and he had told them that he would do it another time. Step-son indicated that they had planned on us staying with grand-kids the weekend after our wedding. (We weren't even sure we would be home by that time from our honeymoon.) Husband didn't fight anything just kind of went along with what his son was telling him.
Fast forward to a day that step-son and his family came to visit for the day last summer, I finally got the gumption up to tell step DIL that we couldn't keep the kids that weekend. She was livid. I told her that no-one had informed Al sooner and that we had to plan our wedding and get away for sometime. Her response? It was your fault .. you didn't consult us first about all of this. Ugh! Anyway .. while I was in, as deep as I was already, I also told her that they (the whole family) could not plan on staying with us the weekend of our wedding. We live in a smaller home and it would be just too much with 5 extra people (three being children). We were already stressed with the planning etc .. of it all. I told step DIL all of this indicating that we would pay for them to stay in a local hotel. She wouldn't have any of it .. says the kids do terrible in hotels. They did end up staying in step-son's mom's home that weekend .. so it worked out, but needless to say, they were very unhappy. And .. I believe, still are.
Now .. before I am told that I should have never talked to steps about this stuff .. it should have been my husband. I know ... and am kicking myself now. I'll be working hard, moving forward, so I don't do that again.
In the meantime .. to all of you out there .. any thoughts on what I can do to get the fences I built pulled down?
Thank you all very much in advance for any support/feedback you might have.
Jeannie

Comments (3)