SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Help With Awkward Master Bath Door

Helen
6 years ago

I am doing a gut remodel of my condo including the master bath.

The master bath is not large. I am swapping out the horrible bath/shower combo for a larger shower.

What I have always found dysfunctional is that the bathroom door opens into the bathroom which means when open it blocks the end of the tub (or soon to be shower) which has the faucets and which is also the end I enter into.

I live alone so shutting the door in my master bath generally isn't an issue in terms of privacy and since I live in Southern California, keeping the door closed for steamy warmth isn't a factor as I am never cold in the bathroom - door open or shut. The only time I shut the door is when I have to enter the shower since it blocks that end of the tub /shower.

Removing the door completely isn't I think a great option since there would be times when company might want the ability to shut the door for whatever reason.

I suggested to my designer having the door open in the opposite direction as there is actually a small amount of blank wall between the door frame and one of the closets. She said that she would have to consider that although I'm not sure whether it is for code reasons or for aesthetic reasons in terms of visuals.

A pocket door would obviously be ideal but I am not sure if that is feasible based on retrofitting around the existing structures.

An accordion door isn't really an option that I find appealing and would make a not very wide bathroom door even narrower I would think.

Any creative solutions I haven't thought of?

Here's a floor plan with the arrow indicating the offensive door.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!