SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottkasten

Upper cabinets too close to adjacent window

Climb On
6 years ago

I have already talked to homeowner, the cabinet maker, and the GC about this oversight. I'm really pissed at all 3 of them for not catching it sooner, but the good news is that they will do whatever it takes to solve the problem. It's an easy conversation because are all 3 of them are the same person...ME! The window was installed too close to the corner and I only have 12" to the inside of the window's rough opening. I should have had a smaller window there for proper clearances from the window trim. I just missed it, so here I am. Sheetrock and paint are done. Window trim, siding and cabinets are not done. I would prefer not to change or move the window, but I will if I can't come up with a good creative solution that doesn't look like a mistake was made!

I'm looking for suggestions (and examples) on how to redesign the uppers to deal with the problem. Let's get creative! I can build anything you can dream up.

So far, my options are...

1. REDESIGN: hold the uppers away from that corner and make some sort of corner shelf, I'm afraid this will just look weird and unbalanced.

2. AS IS: just squeeze the upper in as is. The cabinet door will be about flush with inside plane of the window frame.

2. CHANGE DEPTH: build 10" or 11" shallow uppers (yuk)

3. OPEN SHELVING: open shelving instead of upper cabinets (wife vetoed)

4. LAST RESORT: replace/move the window

Comments (26)