SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enendesign

Large Gaps Along Length of Hardwood Installed Just Months Ago

EnEn
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

3 months ago, in December, we installed 7" wide Mannington engineered oak wood flooring in the top floor of our 2-story home. The installer let the floor acclimate for 3 days before installing. During installation our home was also being smooth-coated so the humidity level was higher than normal. The floor looked beautiful for a month or so and then large gaps that can fit a dime started appearing mainly along the length of the planks. (This confuses me because the wood is plain sawn and my basic understanding of wood movement is that plain sawn should be more stable along the length and most movement should occur across the grain.) I also started hearing a cracking sound a few times a day when I was walking on the floor. Now small splinters are appearing on the sides of the planks.

I live in Northern California and it has been unusually rainy here the last few weeks. The gaps are still there and it's more humid than normal so I doubt the gaps will ever fill in. We have been watching the humidity the last month and it has been between 35-42%.

My installer was out and agrees that it needs to be fixed but he's unsure why this is happening and insists the cracking I'm hearing are staples, not the wood. His options are: 1. Fill the gaps with epoxy. Problem is there's high variation in the flooring so I'm skeptical of how this will look. 2. Removing the base boards and basically hammer the pieces together. They were stapled down so this sounds like an interesting fix as well.

Is this acceptable? Are there longterm implications? Thoughts on why the floor is shrinking lengthwise and what the cracking sound could be?

If not acceptable, what are my options??

Comments (31)