SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_43307339

Help with my tiny galley kitchen layout?

User
6 years ago

Hi all, I posted about my kitchen design dilemma a few months ago but now that I have more specifics I figured I'd put this out there to see if anyone can offer some layout insight. I'm in the beginning stages of renovating the tiny galley kitchen in the apartment I just bought, and would love some advice.

The space is 6'9'' wide and 17'2'' long, with a pony wall between the kitchen proper and the "breakfast nook," which we'll be using as an office (the apartment has a dining foyer, and I can't see the point in having two eating spaces in an 800sf apartment).

Here's a floorplan and before shots:

Note that the floorplan measurements aren't actually accurate. The width of the space is 6'9; the kitchen area is 8'3, and the breakfast nook area is about 8'6.

Initially I had planned to take down the pony wall and expand the kitchen proper by 8 or 9 inches in length, because that seemed to me like the minimum length I'd need to fit everything. However, now my contractor says that because of all the wiring in those walls, moving them would be an extra $1,800. Am I crazy to even consider spending that to gain just 8 inches? The answer is probably yes, but at the same time, in such a small space every inch is really valuable. Is there a way to make the kitchen work in the 99 inches I've got now? The cabinets will be custom, so I have more flexibility.

Here are the rough schematics I drew up when I was planning on moving the wall (sorry for the terrible handwriting and sub-par drawing skills). The first is the right-hand wall, the second the left, where I'm doing shallower cabinets to make the aisle feel less cramped.

If you had to cut ~8 inches both plans and keep the kitchen as functional as possible, where would you take it from? I'm also open to different layouts, although the sink and range will have to stay more or less where they are.

Thanks!

Comments (9)