SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efleisher7

need to sign off on tiny galley kitchen design - HELP (please?)!

efleisher7
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are doing a gut on our apartment and need to sign off on our kitchen design ASAP - I don't completely trust my contractor's design sense or common sense, based on numerous sketchy incidents/lies he has told us along the way, but it is too late to look for a new one so please don't tell me I need a new contractor. I know this. The plans here are the best we have come up with so far (along with a photo of our old kitchen):

kitchen cabinet elevations and floor plans

It feels like there are too many fillers, but we are dealing with a lot of obstacles and we are not sure what other options there are:

1. a 7 inch filler in the island next to the window is because there is a vertical hot water pipe we cannot move.

2. In the corner of the kitchen next to the sink, there is an old dumbwaiter which has our gas meter inside and some vertical pipes. moving this would require lots and lots logistics, likely be expensive, and our building likely wouldn't allow it. We are thinking about maybe knocking out the bottom of the dumbwaiter and putting some sort of blind cabinet space there which could be accessible from the bottom cabinet?

3. the counters in the corner of the room with the dumbwaiter overlap quite a bit which means there is a 6 inch filler on the bottom cabinet on the wall that has the refrigerator.

4. The short walls next to the refrigerator have our new electrical panel (two old panels were knob and tube from 1923 and 1955) and our entire apartment line's electrical risers run through the very short wall which frames the doorway to our kitchen. These cannot be moved. Our original plan had them knocked down, but alas demo says NO

5. other walls shown are also not movable or removable - we have already knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room for our planned island counter. if we could make the kitchen bigger, we would, but can't do that unless we buy the apartment next door - HA!

It is worth noting that we gained about a foot of height due to a drop ceiling which we removed so now we have ceilings just over 9 foot, however as those cabinets are pretty high up, we are going to put glass fronts on them and use them to store dishes and things we don't use often.

We know it is a lot to cram into a tiny space, but we love cooking (hence the 6 burner 36 inch stove - I have frequently used 4 burners at a time) and do so every day, and look forward to entertaining if this renovation ever ends. Our old kitchen was water damaged which forced us to replace the poorly laid out design with one wall of very inexpensive formica cabinets, and counters from the 80s, so anything feels like an improvement. I know this design doesn't necessarily take into account all of the design rules, but not sure how to do so and still have enough room for tons of cooking gear, full size appliances, under sink garbage and garbage disposal, and pantry items. My husband and I are great in the kitchen together and don't mind working together in a small space. We are elated to have the extra countertop that the island will provide and the cherry cabinets, gray herringbone tile floor, exposed brick window wall, and white crosscut macaubas counters are icing on the cake.

Thanks for your time/advice :)

Comments (31)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES