SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

Anyone having houzz issues?

Posts that are read are not turning from green to gray like normal. Any fix?

Comments (69)

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

rbehs, the urls you posted do exactly the same thing for me.

At one point, I was forced to join Houzz so that I could continue to use GW, but things have gradually gone downhill from there. I wish there were some way to opt out of Houzz, but keep GW. :>(

Virginia

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Vicissitudezz
  • User
    6 years ago

I'm seeing it does that for me, also, when I try in a different browser. I end up at Houzz no matter what I do. I wonder if it's because I have the old site still cached in Chrome.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Is anyone else having trouble getting on this new Houzz site???

Q

Comments (30)
    I just gave up...... After having a Gardenweb account since forever, since back when it was an offshoot of the "Parent Soup" channel thing at AOL.back in the mid-late 1990's and was still doing the same thing at the various changes and new corporate whatevers and never had an issue before or after changing my email address to Gmail in April 2004. I finally just entered a new account name at the same exact email address I have maintained since April 2004 and seemingly have either no "old" account or the new account has no conflict with the old. The old just not being able to "sign in". I have been doing this sort of thing since 1990 before even AOL back when "online" was a BBS running off of a hot rod 2400 Baud modem plug in card on an Apple IIE. I have never been one tobe concerned with site appearances, but the Huuzz scheme fonts colors layout everything, is absolutely horrendous. Just my $.02 worth..... YMMV
    ...See More

Anyone Else Having Houzz Issues?

Q

Comments (6)
    I had the disappearing page issue last night, until I rebooted my computer. Firefox has been slow and wonky lately, so I thought that might be the problem. Also, several times lately, I get 'something went wrong/refresh and try again' when trying to post, but I've found that the message does post, it just takes a while to show up.
    ...See More

Anyone NOT having chipping issues with blue enamel on Wolfe wall oven?

Q

Comments (22)
    @cindy_swetavage They are very inconsistent in how they treat people. It takes haggling back and forth. They always try to tell people that it is cosmetic. Glass shards around food is not a cosmetic issue. People have cut their hands on these shards. They should be replacing the range but not sure I would want the new one with corner fans. They used to do that if you were in the two year full warranty. They should at least pay for the whole replacement. They seem to be giving people a lot more trouble with this now when they are in the full warranty. i dont know if it will fix it. This has been an ongoing problem for more than 10 years. many people have been through multiple ranges. You would not be getting any type of newly formulated enamel. you might be out of warranty when it chips again You might contact your dealer who has more leverage than you do and see if you can get your money back. Please let us know what happens.
    ...See More

Anyone else have issues?

Q

Comments (7)
    Houzz occasionally has problems, but there is usually more than one way to get something done. I assume you were trying to load photos directly from your computer, phone or tablet. Try to load your photos into an Ideabook first. If you hover over Your Houzz a drop-down menu should appear. Choose Upload Photos or Files and a page for doing that should open. You can make a folder for Monarch Butterflies and put your photos there. Then try to add photos to your comment using the Houzz Photo icon. It opens first to Ideabooks. Click on a photo and it should show up in the inset window, then click on the Insert button.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

rbehs... I also use the garden web url, and I don't have any problems with the site, using Windows 10/Microsoft Edge.

I use this url for antique roses and this thread..

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5202508/anyone-having-houzz-issues#21893241

The Houzz url version I get if I use Firefox browser, so I don't use that one so much, as it's on that Firefox that I got asked about choosing topics and suchlike, but I found once I had chosen a couple of topics, it shut it up and I've not been asked since on Firefox. It's there I get the 'top commenters' appear on the left hand side of the screen.

Virginia mentioned on the other thread that we all seem to have a different experience, and that does seem to be the case.

I might try and post a topic and see if it gets through or ends up somewhere over the rainbow...

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

TO ADDRESS THE DREADED "ADVICE" POPUP:

Folks, try doing this: go into your browser's tool options. Pull up your cookie list, find houzz,com and any associated cookies. DELETE those cookies. I
    wouldn't clear ALL of your cookies for every site, rather just the
    ones for Houzz and GardenWeb. They may be separate listings. If you
    normally stay signed in, once you delete the cookies this will require
    you to sign in once again. *IF* you can sign in and search without the notice for
    "advice" popping up, from that point on, if you do ANY kind of search, make sure you only search within Gardenweb. Watch carefully when you enter a subject to search in the search box, that before you hit "enter" or click "search" that it shows the appropriate area, i.e. roses/antique roses/gardenweb. If you ever search in ANY Houzz, non-gardenweb forum, or sitewide, it defaults to the "ADVICE" mode and the cookies will re-install for the pop up.
    I never, ever do a search except from GardenWeb pages!!!!!!!
    In other words, be SURE you allow the option of WHERE to search to show gardenweb/roses/antiques, or whatever GARDENWEB forum you are wanting to search in. I don't know why it sometimes first goes to "advice" as your search option, but if you wait a second, it should give the option of searching whichever forum you're already on.

I hope this helps. If not, I'll try to think of something else!

John

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it where I stand. I have discovered if I'm in a post that I can search directly into anything under that topic ie. Antique Roses vs. the entire site, but I can't do that if I'm only at the AR heading, if that makes sense.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

While my list of posts are turning from green to gray normally now, without my having done anything to fix it, I am noticing a few new “problems”. I just submitted a new post/question about ‘Leveson Gower’, and after submitting it, I noticed a mistake. I went back and edited it, but when I hit submit this time, my iPhone informed me that “This form is not secure.” I was then given the option to “Cancel”, or “Submit Anyway”. I know nothing about such things, so I don’t even know what this means.

One more thing is happening, or actually NOT happening. Normally, if someone makes a comment on a post that I started personally, a little chime sounds off. That’s not happening anymore. Any comments to my posts must be seen, for they are certainly not being “heard”. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Like Marlorena, I was asked to choose some topics that interested me, and once I did, that was the end of it. Lisa

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Lisa Adams
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

I haven't experienced these problems and perhaps because I have 2 extensions on Chrome (on Mac) that effectively block any commercial ads or similar. These are free and available for other browsers as well (Safari, Firefox, etc.).

- AdblockPlus

- Adblock (this may sound as an overkill since I already have Adblock Plus but I found that some sites know how to circumvent one or the other of these two ad blocks).

I also use a similar extension app for blocking commercials on Youtube (Adblock for Youtube) and additionally disable pop-up function on my browser. I enable it only if I know that it's needed for some site, like filling the form through popup window.

With these extensions, I don't experience these problems if I search on GW/Houzz. I find it sometimes better to do it from Google because there I can limit the time frame. Just type the keyword search on google.com and then site:gardenweb.com

Hope this helps. That said, I also have occasional problems with Houzz. I usually rely on e-mail notifications when someone comments on my post or as a comment on the thread in which I participate, but I don't always get them. I don't want to be rude for not thanking someone who replied to my query only because I wasn't notified. Luckily it rarely happens.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

vesfl, I may need to try using Chrome again. My earlier experience with it was not good. I have Adblock or Adblock Plus on Safari, and also have an extension that requires me to actively start youtube videos, so that they won't just play if they're embedded, for example. I don't get pop-ups usually, so I'm guessing there's something about the Houzz interface that circumvents my preferences.

Firefox I have set up to not keep any browsing history, and all cookies are (supposedly) disposed of each time I close the browser.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just sign up for GW, or has it been so completely digested by Houzz, that it doesn't really have an independent existence?

Still no response from Houzz.

Virginia

6 years ago

Virginia, yes please try it on Chrome with these same extensions you have. It works for me and hopefully it will fix your problems too. It’s still not entirely glitch-free but there are far less problems than what you and others experience.

• User
    6 years ago

vesfl... just to add something about these notifications that you sometimes don't get... what I have found useful is to use the 'Bell' sign at the top of the screen, next to the 'shopping cart' thingy [which of course is always empty]... if I hover over the Bell, it shows up all my notifications, and I can just click on whichever and it takes me straight to the thread where a reply was made. Do you not find that useful?

• Emily H
    6 years ago

Hi all, We're taking a look at this! Thanks for the heads up!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Emily H
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much, Emily, for helping.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Virginia, I enter the site by way of the Antique Rose forum. I have it bookmarked, and I avoid the houzz interface entirely that way. So I would suggest that once you're here, you bookmark the main rose page, and navigate to the other forums from there.

I avoid all things houzz, always :P

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Fig, I bookmark the GW site also but sometimes it still takes me to Houzz.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Vapor, I enter the site specifically through the rose forum, not even the main GardenWeb page. *So far* I haven't been shunted to houzz.

6 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have each individual Rose for him bookmarked IE Antique Rose Forum, Rose form, propagation form, and enter through those. I also have the sign-in page bookmarked. My problem is I use a lot of computers and I get confused as to which problems I have on which one. LOL.

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

It makes no difference how I get to the forum; all paths lead to Houzz, now.

I got this super-helpful reply to my message:

Hi there,

Houzz is constantly working to improve our platform for our community.

We welcome and appreciate your feedback and will pass it along to the corresponding teams.

Thank you!

The Houzz Team
    Houzz | The New Way to Design Your Home
    https://support.houzz.com

I'll try lurking for a while to see if there are any improvements; otherwise, I'll just delete the account. It's not like I was working for one of those Houzz badges. (Yes, that's a real thing!)

Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

vesfl, I did download Chrome again. I think I'll wait to see if the problems get resolved, and if they don't, I'll try deleting my account to see if I can start over.

I am afeared, though, that it may no longer be possible to post on GW without the obtrusive Houzz interactions that have ruined the GW experience for me in the last few days.

Virginia

• Emily H
    6 years ago

We've just released a patch to address the headings issue. Let me know if you still see it!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Emily H
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Emily, Please try to resume the color change from green to gray, when a post has been read. This was in effect until two days ago. It really helps keep our place in keeping up with new threads.

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

I don't know what a headings issue is, but nothing has changed at my end.

Virginia

6 years ago

Marlorena, thank you for this advice. I know that it's another form of notification when it turns green and I sometimes click on it to display the list of notifications and then click on each green circle. All it does then is turning the circle to grey. However, I didn't know that it can lead you directly to the thread and the comment if you do it the way you describe. I've just done it following your instructions and it's neat. I'll now switch to this method. Thank you!

Virginia, there is one concern: if you delete your current account to start a new one, I wonder if all your comments and posts would also be deleted. That would be terrible. If you want to start a new account, perhaps you may still keep this current one for archive purposes, just keeping it inactive. I'll keep fingers crossed that switching to Chrome will eliminate at least some of the problems.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Virginia, (you may not see this, I know) I *think* the header issue is where the clicked link wasn't changing color. That part is working for me now, though it seems it's not for Sheila. This website is bonkers, for sure.

I'm so sorry you're still having problems. I went through exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, and it's beyond frustrating. When I reported it to houzz, I also got the exact canned message, and that was the last I heard from them. The problem only resolved when I went through the steps of deleting my cookies, and never going near houzz pages again. Since you don't keep your cookies, that shouldn't be an issue. And you should be able to access GW, but it seems houzz is doing an end run around you.

It also seems there are several different problems here this time, and not all of them affect everyone, and some people aren't bothered by *any* of the symptoms at all.

Whatever they're doing behind the scenes (or NOT doing!), they could obviously use some IT/programming help.

John

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

"Whatever they're doing behind the scenes (or NOT doing!), they could obviously use some IT/programming help."

Amen to that, John!

What I find strangest is that I didn't look at the forum for a coupla days, and when I went back, everything had changed. So it isn't likely that I could have done something to cause these issues.

Virginia

6 years ago

We've done nothing. Your issues started happening for me earlier this evening, but I changed computers. It's crazy! I couldn't even search for a while.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    6 years ago

Some people on the Texas Forum are having problems starting a new post. No matter which link they try: Gardenweb version or [Houzz version[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/antique-roses-forum-dsbr0-bd~t_29817) the message box has "Next" at the bottom instead of "Post", but when "Next" is clicked it stalls and goes nowhere. The problem started a few days ago and contacting Houzz has not helped.

Anyone else having that problem?

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Problem continues where posts don't change color after being read.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Sheila, it's crazy...*right now*, I'm not having that problem, but it's been off and on again for days, which is...did I say crazy? It's been ok for at least a day now, but who knows about tomorrow? Or an hour from now?

John

• PRO
    Stark Group LLC
    6 years ago

After account approved, one month has passed and now listing still pending...

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Stark Group LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Still no color change after reading posts. Disappointing for sure.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I've had a miracle! Post turned gray after reading. Crossing my fingers it's fixed.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Yeah, Sheila, it's working for me, too...it's a miracle alright, lol. I'm wondering how long it will last *this* time.

• jerijen
    6 years ago

They're still staying green for me, and MOST annoying.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked jerijen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry, Jeri. I agree that is really annoying. I really hope they can fix this.

• jerijen
    6 years ago

It would be nice if they TRIED.

• jerijen
    6 years ago

Now they're changing from green to grey -- but my most recent post is up twice. HUMPH!

Original Author
    6 years ago

I am finding the color change restoration such a relief. I really find it easier. Better double posts from you Jeri, than none at all!

• lcotee
    3 years ago

I can access my Houzz idea books on my phone (tiny photos) but not on my tablet where I prefer due to larger photos. Bizzare and I'm not seeing any help for this.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked lcotee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am unable to help, but maybe someone will see this and contact Emily at houzz. This constant malfunctioning is annoying people for sure.

• lizzieplee
    3 years ago

I get constantly this message: "We couldn't find any results" when clicking: get ideas Kitchen and whatever filter... I have tried on different computers thinking was a cache issue, but happens on other desktops as well.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked lizzieplee
  • bart bart
    3 years ago

A couple years ago I left the Houzz forums after they leaked my e-mail to spammers. Well, I re-joined, since I missed my forum buddies, but now I'm getting more spam than before; coincidence???

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked bart bart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Stay with us anyway, Bart. Cori Ann might have disappeared for good, sadly.

• Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

Why? That's sad. I was wondering where she was. I haven't seen her post in a while.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Apparently her privacy was violated, Alana.

3 years ago

I guess I should check my spam mail, but if it goes to spam I don't really worry. Maybe I should. I do wonder why only some people had their email exposed. I wonder if it's how they filled out the original form. Yes I do miss Cori Ann.

• Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

Awe, I didn't know that. I miss alot of the people who are gone now.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Alana8aSC
  • C H
    2 years ago

My order from Houzz claimed delivered but, never received. WAs on chat with Houzz for a very, very long time without a person answering my issue.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked C H
  • HU-178551810
    last year

Lousy website! Really....lousy. I was browsing (2) items, placed an order for one of them, received confirmation via email......then 20 min later I was notified via email hat another purchase had been made that I never confirmed (it was the 2nd item I was browsing)! I've submitted a cancellation request but it was after their 30 minute post purchase window / timeframe policy. Since this is the weekend after 3pm (PST), I"ll have to wait for a response beginning of the following week. If this order does not cancel and it is shipped, I will refuse to pay for return shipping. I'll reply back here with resolution given from Houzz.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked HU-178551810
  • HU-178551810
    last year

Follow-up on cancellation of "non-ordered" lamp: Houzz customer service came through and successfully processed the cancellation order we submitted. I have to say, they were very timely in doing so and no complications. Thumbs up.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked HU-178551810
  • HU-178551810
    last year

Price Gouging?

Anyone experience this? We just purchased a table lamp 1 week ago that was "on sale": MFR: Surya, model # LMP-1059, $474.00 (w/$40 discount coupon). I reviewed our Houzz account today and this same lamp now is now selling for $745.00 (36% price increase!). Whaaat? You know how the page you're on shows you similar lamps / categories...and what do I see from another manufacurer?....the same exact lamp (pictoral representation along w/same dimensional specs) listed for $395! This mfr is "Doffing" vs "Surya". What I thought was a "deal" buying our lamp w/coupon for $474.00 now seems like a price gouging when I see the same lamp 1 week later offered from another distributor @ a 25% discount. This is terrible business practice....CORRECTION....No business practice at all! Unethical.

We'll continue to use Houzz's website as a means of identifying design ideas for our house (with the intent of finding / buying them elsewhere), but I can't see us purchasing anything from them in the future given what seems like really shady / purposeful bait and switch pricing.