SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cac546

Glass Stair Railing

cac546
6 years ago
What do I need to know about options for a glass stair railing? We're nearing the end of our build and just realized, thanks to Houzz, that the cable railings we were planning are a terrible idea in a house with small children. We're using a high-end custom builder so I'm confident our site supervisor will be on top of things but I'd like to know what to ask for.

Our stairs are a double u-shape, up to the 2nd floor and down to the basement, with a wall on one side in both directions.

I assume the glass has to be tempered. Is there a certain thickness I should be looking for?

What are the options for securing the glass in place? Our stairs will have a knee wall on the open size and the treads are closed. It seems like in some cases there are clips and in some there's a recess in the knee wall that the glass is set into. Is one option better than the other? I've attached pics of the look we like in terms of the knee wall and type of handrail, etc.

Thank you! And most importantly thanks to everyone who has posted previously about how dumb cable railings are with kids.

Comments (27)