SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilly_atl

Creating a lawn from a small wooded area - Atlanta, GA

lilly_atl
6 years ago

Hi there, I purchased a house near Atlanta, GA a couple week ago. The house has a fairly small back yard- I'm estimating about 3,500 square feet. Behind our back yard is an unused plot of land that may be half an acre or more. Most of the trees in our yard are tall/thin and are too close to the house, so we'd like to turn our yard into a grassy lawn. Once the trees are out, we plan to install a privacy fence for the dog.

Both our yard and the plot behind it are covered in English ivy. But, the biggest problem is the poison ivy vines that are mixed into just about the entire yard. (There's about 10-15 ft of area between our house and where the trees/English ivy start, and poison ivy can be found in that are as well.)

To get rid of the poison ivy, I'm thinking we need to use a chemical poison ivy weed killer across our entire yard and then pull up the dead vines (poison and English). I do want to grow grass in the area eventually, but absolutely need the poison ivy gone ASAP.

Do you all have any suggestions or tips on how to rid the yard of poison ivy and also eventually turn the area into a nice lawn? Thanks for reading this and for any advice you're able to share.

Here are a couple pictures of our yard. It slope down at the back, so the unused plot behind us can't be seen well.

Comments (3)