SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akkids

Any advice on layout/cabinet design? Lost our designer

Allison Gillis
6 years ago

Hello, hoping I can get some feedback on our kitchen layout. We did not get to finish tweaking it with our designer (long story), and I thought I'd see if anyone here has ideas before we look for someone new. I've already found so much helpful info here.

I had wanted more open shelving (have it now), but not sure how to incorporate it. I want black or navy cabinets, but not with that many uppers--too dark, plus likely can't afford all that glass.

I would like shelves on at least one side of the range--not sure if floating or w/in cabinet frame like she has. She was worried about "balancing" things on either side. We're also planning on a chimney hood, no cabinets over stove.

I would like to keep at least one appliance garage for our toaster oven, and I also love the look of cabinets down to the counter--maybe combining for a hutch effect.

(BTW we know the drill with islands and aisle sizes and have mocked it up and are happy with those dimensions with some slight modifications.)

Here is a snapshot of her design, as well as a view of the range wall (but range will be 30", not 36). Also, dishwasher is panel-ready.

additional info that might be helpful:

House is 1200 sq ft, and in addition to renovating the kitchen we are adding on a master bedroom and renovating two bathrooms--pic attached with house layout and current kitchen. The plan is to eliminate the front hallway and make the side door our main entrance. (No one ever uses the front door, not even the people trying to sell stuff!)

We are two cooks (usually one at a time) with two young boys, and we frequently entertain a few other families a few times a month. An additional gathering spot was very important to us. Previously, people just stood around the empty area between kitchen and dining area.

I tried playing around with the Ikea planner but just got frustrated when nothing looked right.

We are open to moving things around, but the window has to stay centered on the front wall. Thank you so much for any input--it's greatly appreciated!

Comments (69)