SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1121

'Designer's' fee for a small kitchen layout. Need advice!

melanie1121
15 years ago

Hi,

My contractor recommended a kitchen cabinet place who he admittedly "gives PLENTY of business". I do not know the business "arrangement" between my contractor and the kitchen cabinet place however the contractor mentioned he wasn't making any additional money from the cabinets (let's assume this is a fact).

I couldn't afford the top-of-the-line cabinets so I went for low-end cabinets which had very few color choices.

I spent time with the kitchen sales/designer person (five hours tops-including phone calls) to design my small 8' x 8' kitchen. My contractor (who will be installing the kitchen) reported that he held meetings with the cabinet designer to go over the plans. I narrowed down the door style and cabinet color but inwardly was not really thrilled with the choice. At this point I didn't purchase the kitchen. In hindsight I should have been sure about the color and door style before determining the layout.

I was provided with the computer pictures of the proposed cabinets however the measured diagrams were sent to my contractor (they were not released to me).

As you may have guessed, I decided to go with a different cabinet company. I found a color and style of cabinet that I truly liked and it fit my budget.

My contractor will install the cabinets from this new company however he strongly believes that I owe the kitchen designer a consultation fee. This fee was never once discussed or disclosed up front. The contractor suggested that he will deduct the designer's fee from my "kitchen allowance" because he believes she should be paid for the time she spent with him and me.

I recognize that "no one works for free", I would like to do the right thing and pay her for her time however, I believe this "consultation fee" is now an arbitrary figure (which the contractor now guesses is anywhere between $500 - $1200).

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Melanie

Comments (15)