SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sebby_gw

Need Layout/Design Help with Small Condo Kitchen

Sebby
13 years ago

Hi All,

New to the site, but have been poring over the forums for a few months and have learned so much. In the process of a kitchen redo and need some help with the layout.

A few things to note:

This is a small condo kitchen, so unfortunately we don't have many options for moving walls, etc.

The floor is slab, so to minimize cost/effort, we are leaving the plumbing in the same general area.

Changes we are making:

We currently have a 30-inch electric stove with OTR microwave. We'll be extending our gas line into the kitchen and upgrading to a 36-inch gas range. We also plan to install a range hood and will vent to the outside. This leaves the as yet undecided issue of where to put a microwave. We are replacing the formica countertops with soapstone. We're replacing the dishwasher with dish drawers. The 36" refrigerator is new, so that is staying.

Things I dislike about the current kitchen:

Size - Floorspace and counter area is limited. We're planning to push the peninsula cabinets out about a foot into the family room to gain some additional space. We do have 9 ft ceilings, and are planning to do stacked cabinets to the ceiling to gain as much storage space as possible.

Corner sink - I feel like it's difficult for both of us to be standing in front of it. The corner sink cabinet eats into a lot of space and most I find to be unusable. I would also like to gain a little more workspace next to the stove. I moved the sink to the peninsula to keep it in the same general area, but get it out of the corner.

2-Tier Peninsula - We will be removing the pony wall and making this one level. I feel this will increase the work area and also, I prefer this look.

No room for garbage - Currently it's under the sink. It barely fits with the pluming/garbage disposal and is extremely inconvenient. I modified the layout to include a 12-inch garbage pullout in the corner near the sink.

No Pantry - I wanted to move the refrigerator over from the wall to allow it to open better, and thought a 12-inch pullout pantry would make good use of this space. It does eat into the already limited counter space next to it, so I'm not sure this is the best idea.

Poor lower cabinets storage - We're planning on putting in drawer bases, but doing this eliminates the lazy suzan which I don't love but do recognize as holding a lot in our small kitchen.

About us:

Two adult (and one dog) household. We cook most of our meals, a lot of time together, so we want to make sure that the kitchen makes sense functionally, and that the changes we're making aren't taking away from what we currently have. We'd like to have both of us comfortably prepping and cooking in the space, which currently is an issue.

I took at stab at creating a new layout but am very new to all of this, so please let me know if anything is unclear or doesn't make sense or looks off or could be done better. I'm really looking forward to all of your feedback and critique!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen - Old and New

Comments (14)