SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maisie6b

From Vision to reality - the “do big, long term stuff first” challenge

maisie6b
6 years ago

The vision thread has been great, but it makes me think about how stuck I feel. Seems like the best advice is start with hardscape and trees, then move on to shrubs, perennials and annuals. Great in theory but tough in practice, especially when you are starting - say the first decade or so:)

If you mess up designing a pot of annuals, no big deal. Mess up with a tree and yikes. How did you make the big decisions for your garden? Where there times starting out/starting over that you had the gardener‘s equivalent of writers block?

As back story - just over a year ago we had to remove all the hemlocks that lined our boundary due to wooly adelgid. They had been mature when we moved in and even as they showed the stress of the infestation, they really defined the property. The removal was a big shock and completely changed the space I gardened in. I ended up doing almost nothing last year as I tried to wrap my head around the change.

Sometimes I think it might make sense to bring in a professional but I don’t want someone else to design my gardens. I might like someone to organizing a landscape I could garden in (does that make sense?)

So how did your garden grow? Big plan installed at once? Over time? Worked out bit by bit? Did you start at the house and move to the edges? Or at the edges to create a frame and work in?

If you worked with a landscape architect or designer how did that go? Did you use all or part of their plans? How about landscape contractors? It seems like a lot of that work is to make spaces for people who don’t want to mess with plants but want to check the boxes on the curb appeal, foundation plantings, privacy hedge list. (Very sensible for many but not what I need.)

what helped turn your vision into reality?

Comments (27)