SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuhouse10

A color challenge from someone who is color challenged!

nuhouse10
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have a 1894 victorian farmhouse. The original is a tiny little square of 4-5 room but in 19855 years later) they added additions to the house given us 2 more bathrooms, . With the extra space at the back and sides of the house. While this is a great addition to the house, the style is from 1990, probably the last time they renovated anything. The color scheme is "whimsical" (according the real estate agent) but to me it was carnival/circus. Red, teal, dark yellow, light green and salmon pink walls. The floor in the yellow room is black and white "luxury" tile. The kitchen has mismatched everything - light green walls and yellow wainscoating and cabinets. It lookedes\ like an easter egg! So, while we love our little fixerupper, we have spent the last 4 years getting back to livable conditions - stuff that must happen before we re-do floors and the entire kitchen. In an effort to quiet our brains, we painted over all the bright colors and have been living in mostly white primed walls for 3 years now. The TV room is painted rockport gray with cameo white trim - we really like it. It's cozy and we enjoy being in that room. The rest of the house, not so much. My husband and I can do all the fixing up in the world, but the colors are causing me so much stress. I'm going to post pics in the comments...I hope you can give some advice on how to create some flow and continuity throughout the downstairs! The BM paint rep suggested "gray owl" and "nimbus" but they seem so light for the black and white room - it feels like the fireplace and everythign would just blend together. I'm not sure...

I can't find a color that will look good on the kitchen and black/white room walls and also not too blah. We went back and explained this to the woman at BM really wants us to put really light whites on the walls. I feel a bit pressured but maybe she is right? The room doesn't get much natural light and already looks dingy with white primer ont he wall...I want something to help make the fireplace stand out and feel warmer. We have other projects that mean we do not have time or money to pull up the vinyl and lay down new wood flooring. We ripped up a pink rug (ugh) in the side room off the room with the black and white floor. We sanded primed and painted the subfloor a light gray (BM platinum gray). it's perfect for the utility/storage and workout room that we are using it for. the lady at BM assured me that we could not only paint the vinyl tile but it would look awesome in platinum gray, as she suggested. We haven't painted it yet but I can't see that working the way she said it would. Here is a pic from when we first moved in. This room is now cameo white. It gives an idea of how the room are one long room. To the right is the TV room with the rockport gray and cameo white trim. At the far end of the house to the right is the room with the painted subfloor. ing can bring it all together. The TV room at the other end of the house is rockport gray and camero white. The dining room is cameo white (it's low ceiling, no natural light, it's ok color but would change). Help :/ Here is a pic from when we first moved in. This room is now cameo white. It gives an idea of how the room are one long room. To the right is the TV room with the rockport gray and cameo white trim. At the far end of the house to the right is the room with the painted subfloor.

My husband and I prefer greenish grays, warm grays and warm blues (as much as blues can be warm). The problem is that i don't think they will really go with the yellow cabinets or they will be too dark.

Comments (10)