SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom23step23

Adult SKs - How long do we have to store their stuff? WWYD

mom23step23
14 years ago

A little background. My husband lost his house with his divorce, it was twice the size of my house. He had to scale down 27 years of accumulations to move in to my house. Space is not abundant. My husband & I each have 3 kids from our first marriage. They are all adults now. My kids were all living at home when we married, his kids were all in college/graduate school when we married. His kids :SS29, SD25, SD24. My kids:DS23, DD21, DS18 (just left for USMC Boot Camp).

Question. How long do we have to store stuff for adult kids? SS29 and SD25 still have several boxes in our basement and garage. I felt it was OK to store stuff for them while they were in college/grad school, but now they're both done, and getting good jobs, moving on. My kids have very little stored here by comparison, with the exception of my DS18 who is at Boot Camp (and cannot take anything with him except the clothes on his back).

I sent emails to both of them asking them to "start" taking their things, like maybe take one box back with them each time they visit. SS29 was very agreeable to this. SD25 was angry. I specifically asked her to take a box of china that was given to her parents as wedding gifts, and a rocking chair. She has ABSOLUTELY no furniture in her apartment, no bed, no chair, nothing! She says that she wants the china, and the rocker, but want us to continue to store them. The china has bad vibes for me since it was a wedding gift to my husband & his ex. I wanted it out of the house and I explained this to her, it meant nothing. To be honest, I do not think that she really wants either of them, I think she just wanted to win at some sort of mind game. Anyway, they left with her. But she was angry, and wouldn't even say goodbye. My husband feels that I am being unfair to his kids.

Your thoughts please.

Comments (25)